Never Let Go

We never went to the shelter that day. I think we all needed a break. It wasn't really a break though because everyone was one edge. I looked out the window almost very minute to make sure he wasn't here. We never said anything about it. They didn't have to try and follow me around because I stayed with them. I stayed because if I couldn't see them I felt alone and uneasy.

I couldn't help but feel that if I had Jada I might feel better. More protected. I think Greg was thinking the same thing. It was the day after the news and we hadn't left the house for almost a full day. Greg decided it was a good day to go to the shelter. I could see a look of happiness in his eyes even though he was trying to cover it up.

At the shelter Greg told me to visit the adoptable dogs first. He told me I can see Jada in a little while. I had fun with the other dogs but I kept thinking about Jada. How is she? Why can't I see her? Did something happen?

"Ella can you come over here?" I walk over to Karolyn and Greg. I can feel my stomached flip. Something is wrong. I can see it in their eyes.

"Jada we have some news." Karolyn talks in a melon cully tone.

"Okay," My voice comes out high pitched and scared.

"Jada has cancer." Greg says so abruptly I almost don't comprehend what he says.

"What..I mean...ummm...is she going to be okay." I brace myself for the answer as tears form in my eyes.

"It's in her thigh. The are preparing her for surgery to try to get it out. But she is so old..." Karolyn starts but then stops when she starts crying. I try to hold myself together. I need to understand exactly what's going on.

Greg starts talking, "We were going to let you adopt Jada but now..."

I cut him off, "I still want her."

• • • •

Greg tells me I can wait in the waiting room for Jada. They head to get some lunch for everyone. When they leave what has previously been holding me together falls apart. I start crying so hard I can barely see. The worst though is the pain I feel in my heart. Greg never responded to me saying I still want Jada. I know I still want Jada. I am not giving up on her. Everyone else has but not me. I will never give up.

By the time They are back with lunch my avalanche of tears have stopped. I have decided to try my best to act mature so that they might take me seriously.

"We brought you a turkey sandwich."

I take the sandwich, but I am not hungry. I can hear my stomach growl but just the thought of eating makes me feel sick. I set it down and look over at Greg.

"I was wondering what you thought about my idea." I ask casually.

"What idea?"

"Of still getting Jada."

"Oh," he pauses for a second, "If you were to get her you do realize she would be a huge responsibility. Not to mention she might not have that long."

"I know." And I do, but I will want her.

"I guess I can't say no to that."

"Wait, so I can get her?"

"As long as you still fulfill our previous deal. And since you have a job and are doing you homework.." I run over and hug them both. The avalanche comes again only stronger and from a different feeling. Happiness overpowers me. It seems like another puzzle fitting it's way into my life.

• • • •

We sign the papers of adoption well Jada is in surgery so we can see her first thing. This also means the vet billies out problem. Karolyn says that they will pay it as long as I pay for food. I promise to try and pay her back once I start working. Oh shoot I am supposed to start work tomorrow. I might call in sick depending on Jada's situation.

"Are you the owners of Jada?" The shelter vet walks in and asks us.

"Yes we are." I stand up straiter.

"She is doing fine so far. You will get to see her in a few hours."

"Thank you so much for everything you have done." Karolyn says.

"No, thank you. This dog is lucky to have you guys. The shelter might have just put her down if it weren't for you."

I try my best to entertain myself for the next two hours. All I can think about is taking Jada home. I have already worked out where her dog bed will be and where her food is going to be. It needs to stay in one place so she can always find it. It will be hard to make sure she doesn't trip down the stairs because she can't see them. I will have to get a baby gate. That way she doesn't get hurt. I was working out a schedule for when I will walk her when the vet returned.

"She's still groggy but over all she seems to be recovering. We took out the tumor but it could come back. We will just have to wait and see."

I rush into the room and there sits Jada with her wandering green eyes and beautiful black and white fur. I have never been happier to see her. As a say her name I hear her tail thump the table. I run over and wrap my arms around her. As I breath in her dog smell mixed with the smell of the veterinary room I realize I never want to let go of this dog. Ever.