01. soldier, poet, king

‣‣‣‣

cafuné

act one, la déception

chapter one, soldier, poet, king

‣‣‣‣

(mai, 1829)

(mai, 1829)

It was a normal Monday afternoon for a certain 19-year-old woman. Éliane had met up with the street urchin, Gavroche, to give him what he needs for the day and in her honest opinion, he was good company. Gavroche was always cheerful despite his position as a beggar on the streets of Paris. He always found a way to put a smile on her face no matter what she was feeling. That's why she loved him. He reminded her of her brother; he was lucky enough to be taken off the streets when his mother Maralynn married a bourgeoisie a few years back. Éliane was glad he didn't have to live through hell like her.

After meeting with Gavroche, she went to see the revolutionaries protest against the king and the rich. She was glad that someone finally decided to stand up to the king and fight for the lives of the poor. 

"At the end of the day you're another day older and that's all you can say for the life of the poor. It's a struggle, it's a war and there's nothing that anyone's giving. One more day standing about, what is it for? One day less to be living." The beggars sang, like an anthem. They don't want to be treated like vermin anymore. They want to live their lives and not just survive. 

She now finds herself in the library by the Café Musain, looking for a new book to read. The bell above the door chimes, making the shop owner  aware he has a customer.

"Bonjour, Monsieur Dacourt!" Éliane called to the shop owner, cheerfully, "Have you got anything new for me?"

"Non, mademoiselle. Je suis désolée, but I gift your favourite Charles Baudelaire poetry book." Dacourt places the book in her hands.

"Monsieur! I can't take this! Please keep it!" Éliane tries to give the book back, but Dacourt refuses to take it back.

"Merci, Monsieur! Merci! Gavroche will love this!" She thanks profusely, her mind wandering back to the young boy.

"If you're looking for a new poetry book to read, I would recommend anything by Lord Byron," the young girl let out a scream, not expecting anyone else to be in the building. She turned around to find a man, who looks to be in early 20s. Said man is very good-looking; messy, blonde hair and sideburns, striking blue eyes. He has terrible fashion sense, but it looks adorable. "He is a genius." He soon realised he almost gave Éliane a heart attack. "I apologise, mademoiselle. I didn't mean to frighten you." 

Éliane being the ever kind person she is replied, "Oh no, don't apologise, monsieur. I just wasn't expecting anyone else to be here. May I ask, what is your name?"