Hesitance

A jealous hare? That sentence had been hanging around in her head before she fell asleep and it was the first one that popped up as soon as she woke up. She wasn't jealous – how could she be jealous of someone with whom she didn't even have a real relationship? Because beyond sex between them there was nothing, they saw each other every Friday, they talked about various things in which she wasn't completely honest about, so that could hardly be called a relationship. Although besides Kankuro it was her second most stable relationship, and that was very sad if she analyzed it a little better.

Come to think of it she was getting more and more annoyed to hear him talk about his attempts to find her, and that he was approaching other women, but she didn't want to tell him that he was looking in the wrong direction. Her internal debate was still unresolved and at this rate the easiest way to solve it was to end it, once she finished that horrible case that had her so stressed and was the reason why she had started going so often to the Club, she was going to stop seeing him or she would result in removing his mask.

She left the room at noon, she was untangling her hair before going to take a bath so she could finally get something to eat, and when she went to get her cream in her purse she saw the notification LED on her phone light up. She pondered for a moment to check it after showering, but opted to just turn on the screen to see what it was, cursing all at once.

She unlocked it and read the mail she had received the day before just minutes before she entered the room, she reread it 3 times while cursing again, saw that it had only been addressed to her and not copied to her coworker, so he didn't know about this one either. She forwarded it to him and looked up his number at once to call him even though it was Saturday. The dial tone rang over and over again, she was about to hang up as it was about to go to voicemail when she heard a noise on the other end of the line, but he wasn't speaking.

"Hyūga?" there were no words in reply, great! a cell phone that expensive and it answered itself, "there's always plenty of shitty lawyers," she said to herself annoyed.

"That you call me to insult me is very mature, Ama."

"Believe it or not it wasn't for you, a mail was sent from the court."

"It's Saturday, Ama, can't you wait until Monday?"

"No, they gave us an agenda for the trial... it will be in 2 weeks."

"Is that bad?"

"Do you know what date we're at? Not only is it rushed to subpoena all the witnesses and everything else that needs to be done, but no jury will want to work after December 20th. They put the time against us."

"So what's next?"

"I will go Monday morning to talk to the judge, maybe I can do something. I need you to start sending out the subpoenas in the meantime...I think we're in for some overtime Hyūga."

"You know how to cheer up anyone's weekend, don't hang around with your ex-boyfriend on Monday."

Before she could answer him, he had hung up on her, she grumbled as she returned the phone to her purse and with her cream in her hands she jumped into the shower, damn Hyūga and his comments about her private life. She didn't have a weird relationship with her ex! Besides why did he care if she was? And why did she care about his opinion? Definitely his constant presence had her increasingly disturbed.

She didn't want to admit it, but the bastard was attracting her more and more. Even though she talked to him almost as friends, and his pain for what had happened 8 years ago had diminished, it didn't change that he was a monster and his ethics weren't compatible with hers. But there was something about him that captivated her lately, that last week that they had been working sitting next to each other she felt her body react to the closeness and she couldn't figure out why.