Chapter 8: The Sun and Moon

Faelyn

"You are supposed to be resting, Faelyn." Kyro scolded as he practically chased me around the base.

"I have been resting for almost a week!" I retorted.

Ever since Kyro came back, he has been babying me. To make matters worse, he will not tell me why. I suspect it has something to do with the trip to The Kijarien Tropics. He's almost like a different person now. It does not help that Lucien has already begun to alter his appearance.

"I know you feel caged, but you still aren't fully healed. What if you hurt yourself?" Kyro frowned.

"I am not a child, Kyro. Besides, we have work to do today." I replied.

"Work?" Kyro repeated.

"Yes. Lucien seems hellbent on taking you over, so we must train your body to withstand the presence of a divine. Plus, your surge is still untamed. I have to train you in magic as well." I announced.

"This sounds like I am going to be sore the next morning." Kyro pouted.

"Most definitely." I smirked.

🧝🏽‍♀️🧝🏽‍♀️🧝🏽‍♀️

Kyro lay in the grass, panting like an overheated dog. I sat on a rock beside him, trying my best to hold in my amused laughter. I know that the training of a champion is brutal. I was fortunate enough to become a champion while I still had my youthful energy. Plus, my body had a lot more time to adapt because I was a child when Thora chose me. Kyro is a young human adult. His body is not built to house a divine or a surge. It is still a mystery how he is even alive.

"You seem to be enjoying yourself." Kyro groaned as he sat up.

"I understand the amusement my mother got from training me now." I chuckled.

"You never talk about your mother." Kyro said.

I frowned as silence fell upon us. My brown eyes looked up into the sky, the sun beginning to set. The moon was slowly rising, filling me with bittersweet memories. It was always a tradition in my tribe to praise and greet the moon as it rose from its slumber. It was a tradition that my mother thoroughly enjoyed. She would lead in the ritual with sacred hymns and chants. It was never the same when she left us.

"My mother passed when I was nine." I announced, finally returning my gaze back to Kyro.

"I'm sorry," Kyro frowned, "Was there an accident?"

"It was no accident. My mother's was the reason my tribe hated humans." I grumbled.

"What happened?" Kyro asked.

"There is not much to it. A few of my tribe members came across two injured humans. We took them in and taught them our ways. In return, they taught us their language and traditions. They became a part of our family. I even called them my brothers. It was after the moon rising ritual when the cut down my mother in cold blood. After interrogation, we found out that they were hired by the sun elves." I explained.

"What happened to the humans?" Kyro questioned.

"I killed them." I glared at the ground, "I was new to being a champion. Thora sensed my anger and heartbreak and took over. When I came back to my senses, they were slaughtered."

"I can't imagine what you went through, what your whole tribe went through." Kyro looked at me with sympathetic eyes.

"Now, you see why my tribe disliked humans." I darkly chuckled.

"Why would the sun elves do such a thing?" Kyro inquired.

"I suppose it has to do with the tale of Udar and Thora." I answered.