Chapter 10: The Ball

Faelyn

My brown eyes squinted open. I could feel a chest radiating heat pressed to my back. A strong arm was wrapped tightly around my waist. Last night's event ran through my brain. Despite everything that happened, I do not have a single ounce of regret.

"Good morning." Kyro mumbled into the back of my neck.

"Good morning." I smiled, turning to face him.

He returned a warm smile, his fingers caressing my blushed cheek. In, this moment, it feels as if everything is peaceful. There is no war. There is no bloodshed. It is just me and Kyro.

"You have to prepare for the ball soon." Kyro announced.

"I know." I frowned.

"Remember your promise, Faelyn." Kyro said as I untangled myself from his limbs.

"You worry too much." I smirked, picking my garments up from the ground.

"You just do not worry enough." Kyro retorted.

I ignored him as we dressed ourselves. It was late in the day, so I imagine most of breakfast is gone now, but we walked to the mess hall nonetheless. The walk was silent but pleasant, our fingers intertwined.

"Faelyn! Kyro! So nice of you to finally join us!" Lonzo exclaimed, a wide smile spreading at the sight of our joined hands, "and it seems you two made up!"

"I am relieved. I feared that Faelyn may have murdered our prince if he did not make peace soon." Mina chuckled.

"She definitely thought about it a few times." I mused, taking my seat.

"She what?" Kyro gasped.

"Anyways, have the preparations been made for tonight?" I questioned, changing the subject.

"They have. You and Ayla are to prepare for the ball in an hour. Griffon will escort you two to the ball. He is tasked with watching over you two and taking down anyone that threatens the mission." Lonzo explained.

"You gave Griffon this job after he already made an attempt on Faelyn's life?!" Kyro exasperated.

"Griffon wants this war to end more than anyone. Besides, he wishes to make up for his transgressions." Lonzo reasoned.

"And you believed him?" Kyro raised an eyebrow.

"I believe Ayla and Faelyn can handle him if he gets out of line." Lonzo shrugged.

"You are worrying again," I sighed, placing a hand on Kyro's shoulder, "We will be fine with Griffon.

Kyro did not look convinced, but he did not push it any further. Still, I know he will give me an earful behind closed doors. After everything Griffon has done, Kyro has no trust in him. In all honesty, my trust in him is shaky as well. But, as Lonzo said, Griffon also wants an end to this war. If this mission goes well, an end will be near. He would not jeopardize that. Or at least I hope he would not spoil our plan.

"Remember, you must get as much information as possible. You must be lady-like, but enticing." Mina announced.

"Enticing? Perhaps, I am the wrong person for this after all." I squirmed.

"Nonsense. You will do well. I am sure of it." Lonzo beamed.

Despite his reassurances, I feel as if this mission may be doomed.

🧝🏽‍♀️🧝🏽‍♀️🧝🏽‍♀️

I wiggled around, trying to get into my blue gown. The shoulders were cropped out and complimented with an intriguing black trim. The sleeves were long and drooping, perfect for hiding a few weapons under. The gown was paired with a silver necklace and rings. Lastly, I dawned a silver headpiece, a gem dangling in the center. I wore black shoes under it, the heels already hurting my feet.