Holiday Festivities

I woke up at the hotel I was staying at. I had decided to stay at a cheap hotel since it wasn't like I was going to stay here my entire life. I got off my bed and as soon as my bare feet hit the floor I shivered.

The floor was frozen and the wooden floor boards were covered in a glaze of white frost. It was extremely cold outside and it looked like it was going to snow.

Some of the villages children were outside bundled up the best they could be and either building snowmen, making snow angels, or throwing snow balls at each other. I got up and put on my winter clothes as I made my way to the door.

When I opened the door I hear the familiar chimes of the bells and was once again greeted by the fake green wreaths and the dead looked tassel that hung on the walls. The hotel at least made an attempt, although not a good one, to look the part.

I walked outside and got hit with a snowball immediately. I was pissed. I just kept walking because if I didn't I would have destroyed the kid... I stopped by Tsuyoi's house to get breakfast.

I liked her cooking and we were going to wander around the village today. I listened to the satisfying crunching of the snow under my boots as I walked. My eyes were starting to water because of the chill of the cold wind that wiped past my face. Tsuyoi had some time off and was spending time with her child today, the child who I had yet to meet.

I never really had the time to meet the child, but the sooner the better. I wanted to leave this place. The people here aren't happy and the stench of sorrow rings high in the air. It's just like that night. I hate how it reminds me of that kind of sorrow.

While I had been thinking I had arrived at Tsuyoi's house. It was small, like the other villagers houses. It was wooden with a small roof and chimney. Smoke was exiting through the chimney giving the house a homey feeling, despite the house being so rundown.

I knocked on the door twice, stepped back and waited for the door to open with the anticipation of getting away from the stench of sorrow. While I was waiting I noticed the nice looking wreath that hung on the door. It looked home made and made the house look even more homey than it already did. The door slowly creaked open and Tsuyoi let me in as soon as she saw who it was.

The warm air wafted out of the open door like a comforting embrace. I eagerly stepped inside the small shack the smell of food hitting my nose. "Sorry it's not much.... I didn't think that you would arrive so soon," Tsuyoi said as she turned to me with a small cup in her hands. As it turns out it was cup of hot chocolate.

Tsuyoi apologized for running out of the food she had made for breakfast. She didn't think I would stop by in time for breakfast so she gave me a candy cane to make up for it. She really is a nice person...

I drank the hot cocoa that Tsuyoi gave me, as it was making my mouth water, and sat in front of the warm fireplace. The small shack was warm and comforting unlike the gloomy atmosphere of outside.

Just as I was starting to relax as a bird with white fur and icy blue eyes pecked on the only window the house had, with a letter in its beak. The bird, no, my bird looked at me and I knew what I had to do.

I told Tsuyoi that I was going to get some fresh air and would be right back. As soon as I stepped outside I was attacked by the frosty wind I went up to my bird, Cal, and she dropped the note into my hands. I unraveled the note.

Dear Ako,
The repairs are going well thanks to the supplies you sent. I hope that you have made enough money to take a break for a little bit. The children and I have found some of our old belongings. We also found something that belongs to you and thought that you would like it back. Have a safe trip and we wish you luck.
-$@&£*#%

The name was smeared on the paper. It does tend to rain a lot in Uzushiogakure and it might have made the name runny. I didn't need the name to know who had written the letter though. I was happy that she was doing well at least.

My bird dropped something else into my hand when I was done reading the note. It was a hitai-ate with soft navy blue fabric. On the metal plate was an Uzushio symbol. The hitai-ate looked old.... I turned it around to looked at the name written on it in a small font... It was my name.....

I slipped it into my pocket and faced the door. I heard Cal fly off while I walked back inside. I spent the rest of the day with Tsuyoi trying not to think of all the memories and the people that came with my hitai-ate.

When I stepped back inside I saw Tsuyoi sitting in front of the fire. I was cold from going back outside, and sat down beside her. She then hopped up from her comfortable looking position abruptly. "Oh I forgot something! Give me a second.." She then left the room in a hurry. I wonder what's up with her..

She then hurried back into the room with a well wrapped present. The present had a tag on it but I couldn't see it from this distance.. She then strode over to me and handed me the gift gingerly. "This is for you!.." She waited in anticipation for me to open it.

The present was addressed to 'Ako'... I hadn't told her my full name yet and wasn't sure that she knew that Ako wasn't my real name. I decided to ignore that small detail and gingerly opened the present.

I guess that Tsuyoi found out that I liked to read because inside the present was 'Tale of a Gutsy Ninja'. Written by Jiraiya... It had been a long time since I had seen or talked to him...

———————————————————
Hello guys! I put a lot of work into this small thing so I hope you guys liked it! Who is Jiraiya to 'Ako'? Is her real name 'Ako'? Putting aside those questions... I hoped to make a story for the holidays regardless of religion, so I hoped that you guys enjoyed it! Don't forget to take a water and food break! You deserve it! Happy holidays!

-The Author
———————————————————