Chapter 9 - The Bonding Time

A few hours later I woke up to someone pounding on my door. I rolled my eyes and groaned as I got up. I swung open the door only to see Julie smiling at me and bouncing in place. I moved to slam the door shut but she caught it before it could close.

"Oh no Princess, you are not getting away from me today," she announced clearly determined as she stepped into the room. I was already under my covers ready to slip back into unconsciousness. Suddenly I felt a breeze run over my body as Julie removed the covers from my grasp.

I groaned loudly as she sat on the edge of my bed.

"Come on sleepyhead, we have to meet some princes!" she enthused. I glared at her through droopy eyes.

"I don't want to deal with Elliot," I mumbled and added in my head, 'especially after what happened last night'.

"Sorry, orders from the Queen that all three of you need to mingle," she sighed as she pushed me off the bed. I fell with a thunk and almost considered falling asleep there but it wasn't worth it.

After quickly getting ready and making it appear as if I got a full night sleep, Julie dragged me off through the halls.

"Elliot has a brother?" I nonchalantly brought up.

Julie didn't seem to expect that, "Yeah and a sister,"

"Why aren't they competing in this competition? Aren't they of royal blood?" I wondered.

Julie nodded, "Yes but they aren't in the proper age group."

"What is the proper age?" I asked.

"18 to 25," she explained. "Elliot's brother is too old and his sister is too young."

"What's his sister's name?" I prodded further.

"Why the sudden interest in him?" Julie stopped walking to face me. "Do you fancy him now?"

I let out a humorless laugh, "No, I'm just...getting to know my competition."

"Elaine, but everyone just calls her Ellie." Julie answered as she continued to walk. I nodded and let the subject drop. We walked out into the beautiful garden that was filled with sunlight that illuminated all the colors of the flowers. We approached the fountain where there was a figure sitting leisurely reading a book.

"I'm not allowed to come with you. This is supposed to be your bonding time," Julie gave me a slight bow and then began walking back the way we came. I watched her go before continuing on my way to Luke at the fountain. At least Elliot wasn't here...yet.

"Hey," I took a seat casually on the fountain ledge.

"Good morning Princess," he greeted with a nod.

"Can we drop the formalities?" I pleaded.

He smiled. "Of course, I personally don't care much for Prince Lucas."

"Where's Elliot?" I dreaded the answer.

"Sleeping in, I suppose. He does that most days when he brings a poor senseless girl back to his room," Luke didn't even have to look up from his book. I nodded then listened to the birds chirp and sing for a while. I had no idea what I was doing here.

"Is your family is the French one?" I wondered aloud.

"Oui," he answered glancing at me for a moment.

"Do you have a girlfriend?" I thought of Julie.

Luke put down his book and turned to me. "Are you hitting on me?"

My eyes widened and I stuttered out, "I-I- no you- and I-and," I took a deep breath. "No, I'm just making conversation."

Luke nodded and pursed his lips, "No, I don't have a girlfriend."