14. 'You're such a horrible person'

No matter how hard the rain was crashing against my window, I couldn't focus on anything but my thoughts. My cursed, unbearable thoughts. There were days when all I could do was lie on my bed and stare at the ceiling. This was one of those days, even though the sound of the heavy rain surrounded my bedroom and despite the dozens of unread messages I still had.

My parents didn't even have the courage to tell me to go to school after I had spent the whole week at home, nor did they simply ask me how I was doing. So, I didn't really have any reason to get out of bed, right?

Wrong.

I realized this the moment I heard the phone on my nightstand ring, snapping me out of my never-ending trance. It felt almost as if I had just woken up from a long sleep, even though I had been too immersed in my own intrusive thoughts.

Without even looking at the screen, I picked up the phone and brought it to my ear.

"Hello?" I whispered.

"Hey there, beautiful," said a familiar, cheerful voice on the other end of the line.

I recognized almost immediately whose voice it was, and as soon as I realized, I straightened up and stared into the empty air, hope spreading across my face. I knew that voice too well, the only one that always made me smile, the only one I always longed to hear.

"...Jeongin?" I asked softly, but the hope and relief in my voice were clear. It was as if just hearing his voice was enough to pull me out of that pathetic state I was in.

"Uh? What are you talking about? Wrong friend, Y/n!" The other person said, as all my hopes fell hearing that the voice I thought I heard was a totally different one. "It's me, Jisung".

I leaned back against my pillow. "Oh, I'm sorry. I could have sworn I heard someone else..." I apologized.

And it was true, I had heard another voice, the one I wished I could hear just once more. Maybe I was going crazy.

"It's okay, don't worry."

I didn't respond. I let the silence settle between us, still not feeling like talking to anyone.

"So, um... it's been a while since I last saw you at school."

"Yeah, I haven't been feeling that great lately."

"Oh gosh, I'm so sorry. Are you, like, sick?"

A long pause.

"I don't know. I just don't feel like getting out of bed."

"Oh, I see."

The silence returned, this time feeling even more frustrating for him and even more hopeless for me.

"Can you please try to come to school tomorrow?"

"Why?"

"Why...?"

"Yeah, why?"

Silence. I could almost hear him carefully choosing his next words.

"Because I kinda miss you, I guess."

I hesitated, not expecting that response. "Why though?"

"Why can't you just trust what I say without questioning everything? I just miss your presence, that's all. So, if you don't want to get out of bed for yourself, at least do it for me."

A few simple words, spoken in a quiet voice, were enough to make my heart beat faster. Even though it wasn't the voice I longed to hear, it was still such a beautiful sound.

__☕︎__

The walk to school felt strange. I really didn't want to go, not at all. I wished I could have stayed in bed a little longer; it was safe, it was comforting. So, when I put my shoes on, I felt just how frustrating that feeling was, how much I wanted to hide under the blankets. But still, I didn't want to let him down.