Chapter Six: You Need the Bucket Now?

Jake was having deja vu from 8 am this morning.

Oh, the game. What words mean the total opposite of amazing, awesome, and wonderful?

He was currently pacing up and down the dugout, Nick sitting on his red bucket beside him. Brennan was in the field and although Kevin was pitching better than ever, the team could not field anything. Jake didn't know if it was because they were nervous and tense or if it had something to do with anything else. He hoped, deep down in his heart, that he wasn't the problem.

There were two outs and the inning had been going on for about fifteen minutes as Brennan tried to get that last one. Jake had already used one mound visit and if he went out there again, he was gonna have to pull Kevin which he didn't necessarily want to do because he was fine. The score on the other hand...

"Nick. What's the score?"

Nick looked down at the pad on his lap, " 8-0," he said back.

Jake ran his hand down his face and shook his head.

"What do you want to do?" Nick asked, coming over to stand by Jake's side.

"I don't know," Jake said, after a minute.

And he really didn't. Ever since that first practice Jake had had with these kids, he had known every problem that they had and how to fix it. And Jake knew that he didn't have to know all the time exactly what the problem was, but it would be super helpful to know now. He paced a few times, deep in thought.

"Alright," he breathed out. "Let's do this. I'll give him one more batter and then I'm gonna put Josh in. Would you do me a favor and warm him up so I can call pitches for Grammar?"

"Of course. 'You sure about this?"

Jake shrugged nervously. "Do I have a choice?" he asked, rhetorically.

Nick gave him a knowing nod back. He heard the gate shut as Nick took Josh Freeman, the left-handed junior to the bullpen.

"Let's go Kevin. 2 outs now Brennan! Come on!" Jake yelled. He held his breath as Kevin delivered the 2-2 pitch- a perfect strike to end the inning. The team rushed off the field and Jake crowded them around himself.

"Guys, what happened out there is done, okay? It's over. We're down 8- zip. We gotta hit, okay? Let's do this"

The team cheered and went back in the dugout as Jake made his way to first base and then remembered. He leaned over the fence and called for the scorebook.

"Who's leadoff, Grammar?"

"Logan"

Jake nodded, handing the book back after he looked at it. "Okay. Frank! Go put on a helmet and coach first base. Nick's warming up Freeman so I need someone there"

Frank nodded and hustled out to first as Logan stepped up to the plate.

The inning was over after all three batters grounded out. Jake sighed as he shook his head.

Something had to give... Right?

Jake swung the red bucket underneath him as he encouraged the kids to take a seat behind the dugout after the game. The clinking of bats and water bottles filled the air as they huddled together. Nick sat on his own bucket next to Jake. His silent and still presence was quelling Jake's shaking and the bouncing of his knee. Jake took off his sunglasses and placed them on the top of his hat and took a deep breath.

"Okay. So, I'm not gonna sugarcoat this, Brennan. That," Jake said, gesturing to the field. "Was crap. It really was. And I have honestly no idea what happened. But I could care less"