Chapter 1

"Come on, chica, what are we waiting for?" Octane bounced up and down silently.

"Callate, Octavio, we have to wait for the right moment," Gem said firmly, grabbing her canister. When the last squad got close enough to her spot, she launched the canister with all her might. When it landed, they were too close to get out of the blast radius in time. When both Bloodhound and Mirage were down, and they didn't win right away, Gem slid down, Octane following suit. Someone had a gold knockdown shield. Quickly, Octane shot at Bloodhound.

"Gem, where's Mirage?" asked Octane, looking around carefully.

"Crap," she mumbled, looting ammo from Bloodhound's death box, missing the gold knockdown shield, and stealthily moving towards a hiding spot.

"I'm down, no Bueno!"

"Crap," Gem repeated, reloading quickly. When she peeked over to her teammate, Mirage was performing his finisher on Octane. The adrenaline hit, and she ran over to him, kicking him once and shooting at him. He was downed again. It occurred to Gem that she missed a gold shield and he was gonna resuscitate himself so she started her finisher. "Shame. Guess you can't be the champion now," she said, lifting his head with her finger then flipping him over with her legs. His death box appeared, and she looked to Octane, who was about to bleed out. "Come on!" Resuscitating him, the announcer's voice boomed. "These are the new Apex Champions." Octane raised her into the air and they hugged. "Vamonos!" Gem told Octane, stretching out her hand and running towards the dropship.

~~~

"Good game," Gem told everyone, trying to be humble about it. She looked towards the group, who nodded and spread to their rooms as they waited to land. Sighing, she returned to her joint room with Octane, who was zooming around the room. "Calm down."

"I can't, chica, I drank coffee."

She facepalmed. "Estupido."  Throwing herself on her bed, she sighed and turned to the picture on her nightstand. Everyone on the ship had a sob story, Gem being no exception. Her family disappeared at sea 6 years ago. The picture consisted of her, her parents, and her brother, 4 years younger.

"Still thinking of them?" Octane asked, sitting next to her.

"Of course. How could I stop?"

Octane half-smiled. "You have it the best here, Gemoni," he said.

"Really? Do I?" she asked sarcastically, moving back so he could lie down with her.

Seeing what she did, he wrapped her in a hug, playing with her hair.  "Yeah. My pop was super strict and mean. Imagine what he thought when I blew my legs off. Loba... is on the... tamer side, but look at her and Revenant. Ever seen them win a game together?" Gem shook her head. "Exactly. Trust me, almost everyone here has some sort of parental issues. You... don't have them."

Gem slugged him playfully. "That was smooth, stupid."

They play fought like this for a while until a voice came from the speakers. "Arriving." Octane got up and help Gem up, picking her up and rushing out in front of everyone.

"Sorry!" Gem squealed, apologizing to whoever they bumped into.

"That fella gets on mah nerves," Lifeline mumbled to Loba, who was filing her nails.

"Try being on a team with the guy who killed your parents," she replied dryly, walking out with her. Fuse and Bloodhound were behind them, debating what animal was better, but Fuse was rapidly losing. Crypto was the last to exit, closing the door behind them and following the group that was heading to the cafeteria. There, everyone separated into their friend groups.