Chapter Six

I was not ready for the scene that unfolded in front of me. I dropped down and immediately started pumping my arms. "Get a gurney in here now! I need something to stop the bleeding and something t-to make sure she has enough blood in her!" Someone rushed to get it. Octavio stared in disbelief for a couple of seconds before I yelled at him. "What the hell are you doing? Help me!" He shook his daze off and got down and took over the pumping.

"Here!" Gibby handed me the supplies I needed. I started covering the wound just like Lifeline taught me. Then I applied pressure.

"I swear to God, when I get my hands on Jonathan,  I'm going to-" I started to mutter through my teeth. I realized I had started crying a little bit. Then the assistant nurses came over with the gurney. They moved her on the gurney and I made sure they kept it low enough so Octane could continue CPR and I could keep holding pressure.

"Who did this to her?" Octavio asked. He didn't need to take his goggles off to know he had tears in his eyes. "Who did this to Ajay, Gemoni?"

I sniffled. "My brother."

~~~

In the medbay, it was complete chaos. Nurses came from left and right and Octavio stopped CPR while the nurses tried to see if there was an exit to the bullet. "We need to perform surgery," the other doctor said. "You can take off the pressure, we've got it." I got off slowly and quickly another nurse took over. They wheeled Ajay into a back room and me and Octane went to go clean ourselves up. The walk back to our dorms was silent. We held hands and let go without even realizing until we were outside my dorm.

"Oh, uh, sorry," I stuttered, still shaken up about the whole scene.

"Oh, it's my fault, chica." He took off his goggles to show his soft, vulnerable eyes. And that was all it took for me to break down and start sobbing. He held me and slowly lowered our bodies closer to the linoleum floor as my body started shaking. The room started spinning, as it liked to when I tended to cry too hard. Octane just shushed me gently and sniffled, knocking on the door next to us. Loba came out of it and she saw the sight unfold. She immediately dropped down and gave both of us a hug. She knew we both needed it.

"How is she?"

"She should be fine," I managed to mutter out. Octane wiped my tears and Loba helped both of us up. Octane planted a kiss on my forehead and left for his room, and Loba walked me into the room, where I sat on my bed and buried my face in my hands. "What if what I did wasn't enough?"

"Gemoni Rivera, stop that right now. You did what she taught you to do, and for now, it will have to be enough. Now, how do we find out who did it?"

"I know who it was. Crypto also knows, and we don't need this to fuel the whole 'we're killing you in five days.'"

"Five? It wa-"

"I know, Lo. He lowered it because I shot Crypto. And now my brother tried to kill Ajay-"

"Woah woah woah. Your brother?! The dead one?"

"Loba, what other brother do I have? Yes, the dead one. Apparently, my family faked their own death and were living in some town."

"And Ajay got shot because...?"

"My family is not very friendly to... people like us. They were really upset with me like both guys and girls. That's why you were shot. That's why Ajay was shot. My brother has this delusion that I'm going to go back with him, but last time I saw my parents, they told me that if they ever caught me with a girl..."

"And he thinks you and I were something."

"But when he realized you weren't, he thought me and Ajay-"