Chapter 8: Locked

[공주와 마술사]

Chapter 8

"I don't care about you. No one does."

I woke up to Lily beside me,

"Lily..."

"Princess! You're awake! Thank god, you were safe."

I smiled, I didn't know how much I missed seeing Lily these days. I got too caught up with Lucas. Lily...now that I look closely, she has bags under her eyes. She looks tired. Was it because of me?

"Lily, are you okay? You look tired..."

"Of course I am! You don't need to worry about me, princess."

Suddenly a guard came in the room,

"His majesty has requested an audience with the princess."

Father? I thought he was going to lock me up until I died. Should I try to convince him to let me go back?

"I-I'll go."

"I'll be sure to tell him that."

The guard went back out, I guess I should get ready now...

"Lily, can you help me get ready?"

"You don't have to ask, princess!"

I checked the closet, such plain clothes. I thought the Emerald palace would be better than this. If they hated me so much, why did they drag me back? Do they like to see me suffering? Assholes.

I wore a plain beige dress, it looked something as if a commoner would wear. But I didn't mind, it was comfortable at least.

I go into the room, seeing Jennette and Claude sitting together peacefully while drinking tea. What a picture perfect father and daughter moment. All I ever wanted, and she took it in a second. Why her? Why not me? But I couldn't get emotional, not right now.

"Oh sister you're back! How I've missed you!" She said, running to me and hugging me. Ah, was she acting right now? I guess I should act too.

'Why did father have to take her back? He should've just let her be!' The other princess thought, although she was irritated by the sudden appearance of her sister, she didn't show it. At least not to their faces.

"Jennette...I missed you too." I said quietly, pretending to be touched by her actions. Two can play that game. "But...I wonder, I've never heard any news of you trying to find me. That broke my heart..." I shed a tear, fake of course!

'What is she doing right now? She should've just shut her mouth like she does all the time!'

"Oh- That–" Jennette tried explaining herself, but she got too caught up in the murmurs of the maids and people in the room,

"The second princess didn't try to find her sister?"

"Was she faking it all along?"

"Does she actually love her sister? Oh, poor Athanasia."

The second princess was red from shame and embarrassment, was her sister doing this on purpose? 'No she couldn't have, Athanasia was always frail. How could she change in such a short amount of time?'

"I–Excuse me." Jennette ran out of the room, leaving Claude and Athanasia together. Alone.

I took a seat one one of the couches facing directly at my father. Will it be different this time? Will he finally look my way...for once?

"What did you call me here for, father?" I asked.

Claude brought up a cup of tea to his lips, placed it down, and said,

"To make you know your place."

To make me now my place? What did he mean by that? I–I thought this time would be different. I guess not.

"W-What do you mean?"

"It seems time away from the palace has made you forget your place in this world. First, the attempt at running away, and now, you chased my daughter out of the room." He eyed me closely, as if I had done something evil.

He calls Jennette his daughter yet refuses to acknowledge me as one? I don't even know why I love this man anymore!

"I'll say this once, I don't care about you, no one does."

I know. I know. Yet, why are tears threatening to fall from my eyes? His words sent chills down the spines of everyone in the room. I could practically feel the maids' pitiful stares at me. I couldn't hold it back anymore, tears dripped down my cheeks. Does he have no sympathy? Was I just someone he liked to toy with? Why was it Jennette? Why?! Suddenly, my mouth moved by itself,

"S-Should I become like Jennette? If I do, then will you call my name dearly like you do hers, and watch me with warmth in your eyes? Will you hold me in your arms...Without pushing me away?"

These words...I've said this before. It was in the dream, I–Can I not change my fate after all? I hated my father. I hate him. I hate him...! And I love him yet at the same time.

"Such a thing won't happen until the day I die."

"Why is that?"

"I'm your daughter too, father. I was by your side much longer than Jennette!" I cried.

"You fool." He said, eyes piercing with contempt. His voice digging into my ears was more cruel than ever. How could he? Why, why, why, why!?!

My eyes widened at his last words,

"There was never a day I considered you my daughter."

With that, he left the room. And the maids followed after him, giving me their last sympathetic look. Ah. I remember this feeling. The same feeling I had in the dream. The same, soul shattering, feeling. It felt as if my heart got stabbed by the one I loved most. That was my last straw, all I needed before I became completely hollow. I probably had the same look as when I was to be hanged in my vision. The only thing holding me back are my feelings for Lucas. I pray that he won't betray me like they did. He wouldn't. Please, if I can't get my so-called father's affection, at least give me another's. If god really did exist, I hope he gave what Claude deserved. 

"Farewell, your majesty." I mumbled quietly to myself and returned to my room, cheeks stained with tears. I can't break. Not yet.

I loved them, and now I'm going to kill them.