Chapter 9

After a very long time, Sai had woken up in a room, although temporarily, she could call her own. In this room, she could cry her heart out, and that's what she did when she woke up and realized she was still in Virat Sir's home.

"No Sai, this my Aai and Baba's house. Not that two-timing khadoos jasoos's. Very rich that he wants me to trust him....the person who went to my college to check out the guys I have casual conversations with, wants me to be totally cool with him prancing around the town with another woman, another wife. Anyway it's over. My life has much more important things than Virat Chavan, Patralekha and now Shruti." Sai washed her face, freshened up, and was ready to greet the new day.

Her phone buzzed. It was a message from her friend Prachi. "Dr. Sai Joshi, have you checked the results?" Reading the text message, Sai remembered that today her second-year exam results would be out. The first year she had topped the class, but this year had not gone smoothly, what with the accident and then soon after Virat going on his mission, the exams couldn't have chosen a better time. "Bappa, just give me enough marks so that my scholarship stays in tact. You know na, I need it even more now."

With a prayer in her heart, Sai logged into her college account. She could not believe that she had not only passed with flying colors but had once again topped the class. Excitedly, she was about to say "Virat Sir, I..." but then she looked around the room and everything that happened the previous day came flashing back. She opened her suitcase to share the news with the only person in the entire world who truly cared for her, her Aabba. "I did it, Aabba! Your Sai has topped again! You know what this means na Aabba, more scholarships and a guaranteed internship. Now I am so much closer in achieving our dream, Aabba."

Upstairs, Virat had not slept the entire night. He had many reasons why sleep had stayed away from Virat. Sai had once again misunderstood him. She had left him again, but somehow he felt he had lost her forever this time. Time and time again, she had told him that the one thing she hates the most is lies. And he had lied to her. If Virat had only hidden the truth, perhaps there was a chance of reconciliation, but he had lied. "But it was only to protect you, Sai. Why are you not understanding it?" Virat wanted to stop Sai from taking her things down the previous night, but his phone rang. It was Shruti again. "Virat, can you please come to the hospital?"

"What now? Is everything alright? Do you want me to talk to the nurse?"

"I don't need a nurse. I am so afraid Virat, please can you not come?"

"Everything will be alright. I will be there first thing in the morning. I have to take care of some things at home."

"So is this how you are going to fulfill the promise you made to Sada? Leaving me alone when any minute I might be going into labor?"

"Ok, I am coming. Will be there soon."

While this conversation with Shruti made Virat uncomfortable, he had to keep his word to Sada. So instead of going after Sai. Instead of making sure Sai is not alone this late at night. Instead of keeping the marriage vows of togetherness and friendship, Virat left to take care of his newest responsibility.

After spending some time with Shruti ensuring her that he meant it when he said he would not let any harm come to her or her child. After arranging for a private nurse to be with Shruti all the time, Virat returned to his empty room. That's when it hit him really hard. The empty room, the envelope with divorce papers, the ring, everything meant Sai had left him for good. He was hurting so much he couldn't breathe. He needed to do something, so he tried calling Sai, but she had blocked his number or switched her phone off. "Sai, where are you?" He was in such a bind he could not even use his department to look for Sai.