Chapter 20

"So you think Shruti has framed you?"

Sai honestly did not know how to react to what she had just heard. Virat had finally decided to tell her. He finally answered the questions she had asked him many times before filing for divorce. Virat told her everything. The mission, his meeting with Sada, his trying to convince Sada to surrender, and then their face-to-face where he had to shoot his best friend. Sai tried to suppress a sarcastic laugh. She had guessed it right. Someone close to Virat Sir had died in the mission, so he had to take on the responsibility of the dying man's family. Just like one day, he had taken on her responsibility by marrying her despite being in love with another woman. He had married Sai, and in the same instance, he had made it clear that their marriage was a sham. Society wouldn't allow a man to simply make a young woman a ward, so marriage was necessary.

Similarly, it appeared Virat had taken on Shruti's responsibility by marrying her or pretending to marry her and by giving his name to Shruti's child. Whatever the reason, Virat had given Sai up. There was nothing to be said on that topic. Now all she needed to do was help him get out of the current situation. Because no matter what, she could not see Virat Sir, the jaanbaaz officer, broken like this. So she decided to focus on the part that would help get him out of his situation.

"Is that all you have to say, Sai?"

"Virat Sir, in all what you've said so far, that is the only important thing right now. How you met Shruti, why you did what you did is irrelevant. I told this earlier too, but you insisted. Now that you've told me why you needed to take on Shruti's responsibility, and marry her or pretend to be married to her, I think we can move on from that. Let's focus on the problem at hand."

Virat was flabbergasted at Sai's behavior. He had just told her that he was innocent, that he had not cheated on her, could never dream of cheating on her, and Sai seemed totally unaffected by it. This is not what he had imagined. In his imagination, after realizing how wrong she was for jumping to the wrong conclusions and not keeping faith in their relationship, Sai would accept her mistake. But the real Sai couldn't care less. All she wanted to do was help him get out of the situation, just like she had helped Devi Tai, Samrat, Shivani Bua, Mohit. He was going to be just another feather on her do-good cap.

"You know I don't need your help. Please stay out of this. I just wanted to tell you all this before I tell DIG Sir, because I thought I owed it to you."

"Please Virat Sir, now is not the time. You know I am not going to sit tight while you're here. So either we work together or I will work alone to figure things out on my own."

"So, when all this is over, will we talk about us? Will we discuss how you and I can get past this?"

There was nothing more to talk about for Sai but now was not the time. However, she could not deny the hopeful pleading in his eyes. "Yes, Virat Sir...maybe. So now, tell me what do we do to get you out. Do you know a good lawyer, or do you need me to find one."

Virat thought all was still not lost, and as always, Sai was right. Punishing Shruti and Sada for all their crimes should have always been his top priority. He had lost his way, but now he needed to get out and set it all right.

"I don't need a lawyer. I need to first speak with DIG Sir. Now I am ready to tell him everything. Could you please request him to come talk with me?"

When DIG Sir heard Virat's tale, he couldn't control his anger. "ACP Virat Chavan! I wish it was just an affair we were dealing with here. When I had sent you for the mission I had asked you clearly would you be able to keep your duty above all, and you said  YES. That ACP and this ACP are like two different people. You protected a terrorist Virat? And for what? For a stupid promise to another terrorist?!"