Chapter 18

Sai Joshi did manage to get to the bus station on time and without any incidents. A few minutes into the 4-hour-long journey from Gadchiroli to Nagpur, Sai rested her head on the window to recollect the last 50–70 hours of her life, but sleep got in the way. Finally, the weary girl fell asleep, a dream-less, nightmare-less, much-needed restful sleep.

Far away on the outskirts of Nagpur, Shruti Pawde, acting as Shruti Chavan, wife of Virat Chavan, was woken up by her phone's ringing. "Tai, if you have a TV turn it on. Quickly!"

Shruti, too, had had a long night. Soon after Virat had left for Shani Dev temple to protect the home minister from Shruti's devious plan C, she had bided her time. On receiving confirmation from Suresh that their plan had been executed without any hitches, she put her next plan into action.

For that, she needed her newborn, Sahas, to be awake and cry inconsolably. So she woke her child, and to make him cry, she pinched him multiple times until his cries were loud and uncontrollable. Shruti used that as an excuse to call the guard inside. "I don't know what is wrong with him. He was fine and then he suddenly woke up and is just crying non stop. I think I need to take him to the doctor right away."

The guard dialed Virat's number. There was no reply. "If you're trying to call Virat, he is not answering his phone. I tried several times." All the places she had pinched the newborn had turned blue. She showed that to the guard. "Do you see this—looks like some kind of a rash. Please, I cannot wait for Virat. I need to hurry. I have booked a cab."

"But madam, I will have to come with you."

"Of course, I will not dare go out by myself!"

She had already packed what she could in her baby's diaper bag. The most important thing she needed was the money Virat had given her for safe-keeping just before leaving.

"Shruti, please keep this. It's about 2 lakhs. It's the security deposit for this flat and the flat I have rented for myself."

Shruti had controlled herself from smiling deviously but did thank her lucky stars.

Shruti's phone rang. "It must be the cab."

The guard, Shruti, and the baby got into the car. After about 30 minutes, the guard realized the vehicle had not stopped at any hospital. "Madam, where are we going."

"To a hospital."

"But we are out of city limits. There will be no hospitals until we reach the next village."

"Virat has told you about the dangers, right. People are looking for me. I cannot take a chance by going to a big hospital without Virat. I called my friend, she's a doctor. We are going to her private clinic. We cannot take any chances especially since your boss is not here."

The guard looked convinced. So they continued driving. The car stopped outside a bungalow. It was pretty remote. Shruti got out of the car and took Sahas out of the car seat. Protecting Shruti was what the guard was hired for, so he too got out of the car. He did find it strange that the driver got out as well.

Shruti asked the guard to help with Sahas's bag to distract him. This gave the driver the opportunity he needed; an up-close shot went straight through the guard's head. The man died within seconds. The driver dragged the guard and stuffed him in the trunk of his car. "I will deal with his body later. What next Tai?"

"I need to find a place for the night, and I know the perfect place. Brindavan Lodge. Tomorrow morning we need to head back to headquarters."

"Tai, will that be safe?"

"Yes, they already know me there as Virat Chavan's wife. Now I also have an ID so there shouldn't be a problem."

"But what if that inspector's news comes out?"