Chapter 17

"Dr. Prachi Apte, wake up!"

The moment Prachi had put her head on the pillow, she fell asleep. After all, it had been a tiring 24 hours, what with the long drive from Nagpur to Gadchiroli then the all-night rendezvous through the thick forests to save a terrorist's life. Sai, however, did not have the luxury to sleep. This damsel had to put aside her distress to help another person more distressed. When she had hung up after speaking with DIG Sir, she introspected for a bit.

Now I need to drop everything and go back for Virat Sir?! What will I do there anyway? Virat Sir has been leading a secret life for God knows how long. I am not sure I even know that person. So how will I be able to help? I should just stay back and make sure Sadanand Pawde is jailed.

Then she heard a voice that had always guided her in the past.

"Yes, you're right, perhaps you may not be able to help Virat Sir, but can you not be there for him. Sometimes that's all a weary person needs. To know that someone is there for him."

"But Aabba, he has other people in his life, now."

"Yet he is trying to get in touch with you."

"Yes, Aabba. Perhaps because Shruti cannot help him na. You know what with her condition. New mother—she needs to take care of their baby. She must be so stressed. And this kind of stress is not good for a new mother."

"See you have your answer."

"Virat Sir has always been there for me when I needed him the most. But Aabba..."

"No buts and ifs Bacha. Remember, the road to do the right thing is always hard, but you still have to take it. Will you not walk it, Bala?"

"Yes, Aabba—aap ka hukam sar ankho par!" To get on that road, she first needed her friend to wake up.

"Please, Sai. Let me sleep, only 2 more minutes."

"Prachi, I have to leave for Nagpur, right now!" That did the trick. Prachi sprung up. "What?! But we have so much to do here."

"Sorry Prachi—something urgent has come up and I have to go back to Nagpur."

"Your something urgent has to do with Mr. Virat Chavan, right?!" The sarcasm in her voice was too obvious to miss.

"Yes, but it's not what you're thinking. Virat Sir is in serious trouble. And one thing I cannot see is Virat Sir in trouble... So I have to be back."

"But what about Prajai—is he back?!"

In all the chaos, Sai had forgotten about Prajai and the trouble she had created for him. If the police were to get there on time, she was sure he would be arrested as well. But, first things first—he is a journalist and must know how to deal with such situations. If it gets too bad, I will do something, but I need to focus on Virat Sir!

"No, he is not back—I doubt he will be back for some time and I cannot wait for him. We can leave a note behind and the car. There is a bus in exactly an hour."

"But..."

"Please, I would have left you behind but you know na your brother is with terrorists. Not sure when he will be back. I am not comfortable leaving you alone, nor can I wait for Prajai to return. So please can we just leave? Please, I will make it up to you. We will come back for an entire week in our next break. Promise!"

Begrudgingly, Prachi started putting her things together, and Sai went to the kitchen to make tea and arrange for some quick snacks for the journey.

Sai was waiting for the water to boil when her phone rang. Although it was an unknown caller, she answered it.

"Hello!" There was silence on the other side.