Chapter 19

Sai Joshi woke up to the screeching of the brakes. She was so deep in sleep that it took her a second or two to realize she was still on a bus and then another few seconds to remember why. She was on her way back to Nagpur. Prachi, her friend, however, was still sound asleep. When Sai looked outside, it did not appear that they had reached Nagpur—the time on her watch also indicated that they couldn't be in Nagpur.

She asked a co-passenger. "Kaka, is everything ok? Where are we?"

"Nagbhir stop. The bus usually waits here for nashta-pani for ten minutes, but the conductor told me that today it will need to stop here for at least an hour. The road ahead is closed, I am sure for some big-shot to zoom through."

"One hour?"

"Ho bala, ek taas! The tea here is the best and kanda-pohe tar zhanzhanit aahe."

"Ani how's the sabudana kichdi?"

"Aah my baiko's favorite. It's good too, but not better than pohe!"

Now Sai was in a quandary, and no, it was not about whether to eat pohe or khichdi! She didn't know how much this delay would cost Virat Sir. She did not want him spend yet another night in jail. But there was little she could do stuck at a bus station in Naghbir. And if the roads were closed, she could not even hire a cab, not that she had the money for it anyway.

She decided to check how Aai and Baba were taking the news. "Sai!! Where have you been, I was so worried, why did you not answer your phone last night?"

"Sorry Aai, was so tired I slept early last night. How are you? How's Baba?"

"How do you think? Our daughter is so far away from us, how can we be alright? And Virat, well he did not come home last night but these days that's normal na. He must be with his wife and kid."

Sai was not surprised that outside the police department, only she knew about Virat's predicament. Neither DIG Sir nor Virat Sir had divulged much. So Sai was at a loss. To learn more, to help Virat, she needed to know what was going on. And for that, she needed to be in Nagpur, but she was still many hours away. The next best thing she could think of was calling DIG Sir. The most he'd do is not answer her call, and if he did, he would refuse her request to talk to Virat Sir. She had nothing to lose, so she made the call.

"Arre wah Sai, you'll live a hundred years. I was just thinking about you." The DIG sounded very happy.

"Why Sir?"

"To congratulate you, bala! We have Sadanand Pawde and his entire gang. They are on their way to Nagpur as we speak...thank you, beta, we couldn't have done this without you. You don't know what you've done for me, for my department. I had hoped Virat would save our face, but alas."

"I just did my civic duty, Sir."

"Wish Virat had done the same, if not as a police officer at least as a responsible citizen. Anyway, bala, everything ok?"

"Yes, Sir. I am on my way to Nagpur, but there's some road closure so our bus has has been stopped for at least an hour if not more. I was wondering if I could speak with Virat Sir."

"No, Sai, I cannot allow that. Rules are rules!"

"But could you at least tell me why he is there? I called Aai—looks like they don't know."

"Sai, right now even in the department very few know. I cannot tell you anything over the phone. And honestly Sai, this time I doubt you'll be able to do anything to help him."

"But Sir—I just want to make sure he is alright."

"I know Sai, I know how much you care for him. I wish I could help, but...."