Chapter 16

The drive through the forest was a little over an hour, but it felt like an eternity to Sai. She was sure that she was going deep in the woods, somewhere she'd always wanted to go.

"Aabba, next time can we go a bit more deeper. Every time we trek only up to this point. It's getting so boring. Either we explore more of the jungle or you find a different place!" She had once complained.

"Beta, you know na the interiors are not safe. The insurgents are always up to something."

"Why fikar when India's best Inspector, Kamal Joshi is with me?!"

"That is the problem, Bala. These people are against the government, the system, the law. They believe the government feeds the egos of the rich, and the poor are left behind. And the police protect this system, protects the government and the ones who run the government. So if they were to see me there, that too on a holiday, I am sure I will be served for dinner."

"What now, they are cannibals also kai pan?!" The two had laughed. "But seriously, Aabba, can I go without you then? With my friends. Promise we'll be careful."

"Kyon, panga with Jagtap is not enough kya?"

"Kya Aabba?"

"And I am afraid if you come across one of them, especially the leader, you just might join them. You know sometimes their arguments and yours sound very similar to me. They hate the likes of Vithal Mane for the same reason you dislike them. Vithal is a case in point. He has been amassing wealth by squeezing the rights of poor, and now he is an elected official that too by forcing peoples' votes. He is now part of the system. Since his taking office what has he done for his people? Nothing! All he is doing is scamming the people, the government, and running his racket literally in broad daylight."

Sai was not happy with Aabba's remark. "You really think I will join the terrorists?!"

"No bala, that bit I was just joking. But not about the fact that some of yours and their thoughts especially the man leading the Gadchiroli operations are similar. But I know my brave girl. I know you will never resort to violence to make your point. Violence begets violence and not a real solution. What we are doing to stop Mane is the right approach. The only way to reset a path in the right direction Sai is to stay the truthful course no matter how difficult. In today's world Sai people think honesty and trust is overrated but trust me the people who sleep well at night are people who are honest, truthful and do not intentionally harm other people. My child do not ever change, keep fighting the good fight. Continue to speak up for yourself, but more importantly speak for people who cannot."

"Yes, Aabba—I am your daughter! And what is this? Nice way to change topic haan—can we get back to the point, next time if you're not going to take me deeper in this insurgent-infested jungles then better find a different place for our holiday."

"Aga ho majhi aai! Where do you want to go?"

"Surprise me!"

Aabba never got the opportunity to surprise Sai. He lost his life fighting the good fight. Vithal Mane was behind bars, and so was his entitled son Jagtap. As Sai felt the familiar bumps of the Jeep driving over the overgrown forest path, she felt that void she felt in her stomach the day she had lost her best friend. Virat's friendship was slowly filling that void, but tonight, as Sai approached her patient in the forbidden parts of the Gadchiroli forests, the void came back deeper, stronger, and more painful.

After about an hour or so, the vehicle came to a stop. As the engine's humming and the screeching of the tires and brakes stopped, Sai could take in the sounds of the forest. How her heart had been aching for it. As soon as she could remove her blindfold, she looked up into the sky at the beautiful milky way. Then, taking in that view, listening to the forest's symphony: a gushing stream nearby, the hooting of the owls, the chirping of the crickets, the prowling of animals out hunting—Sai couldn't help but wonder why despite so much beauty around mankind chose to become this ugly.