Chapter 10

The meeting with Dean was not at all what Sai had excepted. She had presumed Dean wanted to congratulate her for her achievement. He definitely did that, but he also gave her even better news. "Sai, I know you have applied for the medical scribe position at our hospital. Considering your scribe training marks and achievement today, I am pleased to let you know that the hospital board has unanimously agreed to offer you the position. If you're up for it, you can start today itself!"

If Virat had not ruined everything, Sai would have taken the day to run back to him and give him this good news. Just before he had left for the mission, they had discussed this. "Modak, I am thinking of applying for the medical scribe position at the hospital."

"Why do you need to work, Mirchi? As it is you have to do your share of work at home and now this. Will you be able to keep your high marks? You know na you don't need the money. What is mine is yours."

"I know I know, but this is not only about money. I get to work with doctors. I get to learn from them directly, I get to shadow them. And you know na no matter how much you study from books and lectures. No matter the marks, learning on the job is the best way to learn. Even Aabba used to say that. Training field ani real field madhe there's a huge difference."

"Ho baba, as always your Aabba was absolutely correct. Ok go for it."

"I was not asking for your permission." Sai had teased Virat.

"I know, but I am giving it you anyway...and who is going to help you convince Kaku and all, meech na." He had laughed.

"You're the best, Modak!"

Now there was no Modak and no Virat Sir to share the news with or spend the day celebrating her small victories. "Yes Sir, I can start today." Little did she know another test awaited her.

After completing all her joining formalities, Sai had been introduced to Dr. Bhide, the gynecologist on duty. "Ma'am this is Sai Joshi!"

"The Sai Joshi! I have heard so much about you."

Sai was embarrassed, but she held her own. "I have also heard so much about you and such an honor to meet you like this in person. I have seen all your video lectures Ma'am. I am having a fan moment here."

"Kuch bhi, Sai... You want to become a gyneac like me , right?"

"Yes Ma'am but how do you know?"

"Dr. Deshpande and who else?" The doctor chuckled. Sai liked Dr. Bhide instantly; something was very inviting in that chuckle. Friendly and warm. She was just the kind of woman Sai wanted as a role model in her medical field.

"You know na when he starts talking about you it is hard to stop him." Sai couldn't help blush.

"Anyway Sai, would you like to follow me and make my notes for me today?"

The nurse interjected. "But this is her first day ma'am. She needs to go through a few training shifts."

"Oh never mind that, I will train her! I am sure soon the doctors are going to line up for Sai to become their scribe.... But Sai, remember who trained you and so who you prioritize." That friendly chuckle again. The doctor's pager beeped.

"Come Sai, now you shall see how a miracle comes to life. Patient in room 103 has started labor and dilated enough to push the baby."

Sitting outside room 103 was Mr. Virat Chavan. Sai saw him, but he did not see her. He was too worried like any husband whose wife was about to give birth. Sai had no time for him as she had to keep up with Dr. Bhide to document her every word. But, first, she had to look at the patient Mrs. Chavan's charts.