Chapter 1: How Has It Been?

12:16 PM.

The July sun of Onett blazed on.

Ness Redwood – local 15-year-old – sat on his home's settee, in front of the television. His younger sister, Tracy, was asleep, while their mother was knitting.

"Hey, mom," Ness whispered, not to wake up his sister.

"Yes, dear?" his mother spoke softly.

"Did you see the news last night?"

"What is it?"

"They're planning to unite Onett and Twoson!"

"Really? I have always wanted to go to their mall, it looks very tall. I also heard that they have a nice marketplace in a nice-looking park."

"Wow! You seem excited."

"Are you not excited, dear? Are you not excited to see no more of those pesky roadblocks? Are you not excited to see your girlfrie-"

"Oh!! Stop teasing me, mom! She's not my girlfriend!"

'Not yet anyway...' Ness thought to himself.

His mother

"Huh, what is it?" Tracy opened her eyes slightly.

"I'll just head upstairs. See ya, mom..." Ness got up and went for the stairs.

"Bye, honey."

Ness went up the stairs and staggered over to his room, shutting the door. 

His walls were inundated with countless posters of movies he liked and baseball stars. He sat at his desk. Twiddling his thumbs, he thought about the news. 

'Finally... a chance to talk to Paula after so long...'

'I can't really speak to her on the phone, cuz...well, her dad.'

'Let's just say, he's protective of her daughter.'

'I can't blame him. She's... beautiful. He would wanna make sure that she gets a good partner, right?'

'That's not really me... I don't have relationship experience... Yet, I want to start a relationship with her...'

'But, if I ever say that to her, then she'll go "Nooooooooo, we're just friends!"'

"I don't wanna be just friends, I wanna be with you!" he shouted out loud, just as he heard some footsteps.

'Oh crap, did they just hear that?'

The door opened. Tracy was there.

"Hey, uh... Someone on the phone wants you."

"Oh, really? Thanks for telling me."

He ran down the stairs and jogged for the phone, while his mother told him to take it easy on the stairs.

He picked up the handset.

"Hello?"

"Ness? Is that you?"