Mep

George Cubbins

Most people hated George. He was rude, always making fun of people for things they couldn't change about themselves, and had gotten expelled from multiple schools. His father had walked out on his mother as soon as he found out she was pregnant, so he easily got jealous of those whose parents were together.

His mother was good. She didn't really have time for him, but that was only because she was working, trying to get enough money so he would have a good future. He didn't blame her or anything - he loved her - but it did get a little lonely in their apartment alone.

He didn't exactly have friends. They were more like people who were trying to fit in and be cool - like George. And, yeah, he did make fun of kids for no reason other than the simple reason of he can. Of course, there are always kids who didn't mind being taunted and called names, and that bugged him. They literally just didn't care of what others thought of them, and those kids were usually super freaky - the kind that you just knew would grow up to be murderers.

But Percy Jackson wasn't like that. Sure, you got the whole "get away" vibe when you were around him, but that was mostly because of the rumors that went around the school.

So George didn't really like him. He just wanted to get under Percy's skin, to make him angry, but whenever George would make any remark about how he acted, he would just laugh it off. Whenever he picked on a freshman, it would be Percy who would tell him to leave them alone.

He hated it. Why couldn't Percy just mind his own business, not be the hero who saves people? It was absolutely infuriating that George could control everyone in the school except one stupid kid.

George was making some jabs at a freshman when a deep voice said, "Come on, stop." It sounded exasperated. Almost like the owner had been through the situation many times. And when George turned around, he saw Percy Jackson standing there.

"Leave him alone," Percy said, and George stepped away slightly, and the kid scrambled away.

"I wasn't hurting him or anything," protested George lightly. "Just having some fun."

Percy frowned. "Other people's misery isn't fun."

"Whatever, man." George shrugged, already walking away from him. "Like I said, I wasn't going to hurt him."

"Last kid you picked on ended up in the nurse's office," Percy retaliated.

George ignored him.
_________________________

George was one of the last people out of the locker room after baseball practice. He really didn't want to go back to his apartment and do his homework. It was just so boring, and his dyslexia and ADHD didn't help at all.

He started walking down the hallway, accepting his fate.

But then the pretty cheerleader ran into him.

George was kind of known for having lots of girlfriend (who all dumped him because he was a "weirdo who needs to learn how to treat a lady with respect"). But believe it or not, he could be "respectful" and treat her nicely long enough for her to agree to go out with him. Besides, George betted she had a great personality. And her really short skirt she had on was a nice bonus.

"Sorry," he apologized, flashing her a smile.

She looked like she was going to yell at him, but then she took a little sniff (unbeknownst to George) and grinned sweetly.

"It's my fault," she assured. "I'm Kelli."

"George." He flashed her an even bigger smile.

She started saying something, but then, she broke off. "I'm just going to do it right here," she decided.