Hazel

Emeline Partridge

Emeline Partridge didn't like many things: people, cats, bugs, her name. The list goes on. She actually didn't hate new kids; all the new kids in her school just happened to have bad personalities.

So when the office assigned her to help the newest kid, she wasn't overjoyed. But Emeline had hope, even if it was small.

The school counselor brought Emeline to the front desk to wait and told her about the new kid. Apparently, her name was Hazel Levesque and she was thirteen but had skipped a grade because of some special program in San Francisco.

Emeline sat on a bench and waited until Hazel Levesque came into the building, but she didn't have to wait long. The girl was easy to spot, considering Emeline had a list of every person in school - her People Emeline Likes List, and People Emeline Hates List - and that girl wasn't on either side.

"Hey," said Emeline as she walked up to her. "I'm your student guide."

"Oh." Her golden eyes blinked nervously at the surrounding student body that buzzed around them. "Okay."

"I'm Emeline."

"Hazel."

Emeline was about to say, "I know," but stopped. Might as well try and be nice. "Cool," she said instead.
_______________________________

On Emeline's list of things she hated, gym was at the very top. She didn't like changing out - it was so much work taking off her clothes just to put them back on - and she hated being sweaty. Plus, Emeline was in no way athletic.

Hazel had gym with Emeline, and she looked so lost Emeline just had to help.

"It's not hard, considering the gym coaches only care about people on sports teams," she explained as they walked out of the girl's locker room.

Hazel nodded. "Oh."

Emeline had noticed that Hazel was rather quiet, so she didn't elaborate on the subject.

They had been doing volleyball for the past few weeks, and that's exactly what they were doing again. After they had stretched, they started playing. The gym coaches hadn't even looked up from their desks in the corner of the gym, but most kids already knew what to do.

"Have you ever played volleyball?" asked Emeline.

"I played at the end of summer camp," Hazel replied, shifting a little nervously.

"Don't worry," assured Emeline when she noticed her new friend's nervousness. "It doesn't matter if you're bad anyway - no one cares."

As they started to play, Emeline realized that Hazel was actually really good. She was athletic, but not annoyingly athletic like everyone at her school. Their team ended up winning - not like it mattered - and almost everyone made sure to tell Hazel that she did a great job (while people at her school were annoying, most people were, although she hated to admit it, "nice").

Hazel was on the People Emeline Likes List.

_________________________

I wrote this on an airplane, so it's probably even worse than my usual writing. I wanted to write a little Hazel (she's my favorite girl character in the series besides Reyna).

I'm still in desperate need of prompts. I got this from one of my four friends.

Thanks for reading, I guess.