Family

Lizzie Blofis

Lizzie was going all the way to New York to meet her dad's brother's wife. She seriously didn't want to go. She lived in Washington D.C., so it wasn't too far of a train ride, but she didn't want to see Paul. Sure, he was a nice guy, but Lizzie hadn't seen him since she was four.

So here she was, in the rain, outside of an apartment building.

"So Paul's married to Sandy?" Lizzie asked, as they walked into the elevator.

"Sally," her dad corrected.

"Whatever," she huffed.

"Four-B," her mom said nervously, referring to the apartment number they were standing in front of. "I hope Paul's doing okay."

"Paul's doing fine. He's Paul," her dad reassured.

"So I'm just going to sit around for a weekend with four adults," Lizzie said.

"Sally has a son that's your age," her dad responded absently, knocking on the door.

"Percy!" a woman's voice yelled. "Get the door!"

"Okay, Mom!" a boy's voice shouted.

The door swung open to reveal a boy Lizzie's age. He had windswept black hair that had a gray streak in his hair and sea-green eyes. He smiled. "Hi."

"Is this the Blofis apartment?" Lizzie's mother asked.

"Blofis-Jackson apartment," the boy corrected. "Are you Paul's brother?" he asked Lizzie's dad.

"Yes, I am," Lizzie's dad replied formally.

"Percy Jackson," the boy said, holding out his hand.

"Timothy Blofis," her dad said, warily taking his hand.

"Paul's in the kitchen with my mom," Percy said, standing back to let Lizzie's family inside.

"Thank you," her mom said, dragging her dad into the kitchen.

Lizzie stood there awkwardly with Percy. "Hi," she said. "I'm Lizzie."

"Nice to meet you," Percy said.

"So this is going to be the worst weekend ever," Lizzie said.

"There're worse things," he said.

"You're going to be, like, some child genius because of your dad, aren't you?" Lizzie groaned, referring to Paul, who was an English teacher.

"Paul's my stepdad," he corrected. "My real dad was lost at sea."

"My dad said Paul had a son," she argued.

"Then your dad was wrong. Paul's my stepdad," Percy said stubbornly.

"Whatever," Lizzie huffed.

"Percy!" a woman's voice called. "You and Lizzie need to come in here; dinner's ready!"

"Kay, Mom!" Percy called. "Come on," he said to Lizzie.

Lizzie followed Percy into the room. Their apartments awfully small, she thought absently. Lizzie expected to see a dining room, but it was actually a small table--which she suspected wouldn't even fit the entire family--and the kitchen in one room. The table was set with china, and Mrs. Jackson-Blofis was setting the table with silverware. "Percy, you and Lizzie are going to eat in the living room," Mrs. Jackson ordered.

"M'kay," he responded, casually walking up to the counter and, when Mrs. Jackson wasn't looking, sneaked a (strangely) blue colored cookie into his mouth.

But Mrs. Jackson knew (Lizzie blamed Mother Senses). "Percy," she scolded. "Stop eating the cookies; there won't be any left if you keep eating them."

Percy hummed in response.

"I won't have anymore blue food coloring if you keep on eating them. I've had to make two batches today," Mrs. Jackson continued. "Stop eating them."

"Okay, okay!"

"Go," she ordered, handing (shoving) the ham and cheese sandwiches into his hands, and pointing out the door that led into the living room.

Percy grumbled something about 'blue would've made them better' (which Mrs. Jackson shouted, "I could've made them blue if I had blue coloring! Which I would've had if someone hadn't ate the first batch of cookies, and I had to make another batch!") and walked into their living room. Their TV wasn't much, a small screen - not even a flat screen - and Lizzie got the feeling that the Jackson-Blofis family didn't use it much.

Percy sat down on the couch, putting the sandwiches on the coffee table. Lizzie sat down next to him, feeling pretty awkward. What was he? Her step-cousin? Is there even a thing as step-cousins? She didn't know. Percy didn't seem to feel awkward, and simply started eating. Lizzie had never seen someone eat so much, which was saying something. What confused Lizzie most, though, was that Percy wasn't very big - weight wise. He was probably six foot - and he was fairly thin. If he usually ate this much, he wouldn't be this thin.

Dinner passed. Lizzie didn't say much - she never did talk much anyway- so she simply listened to Percy blabber about school. She remembered her dad mention something about him having ADHD, and it certainly showed.

Since their apartment was so small, (only two bedrooms) Lizzie's parents got a hotel room. Paul awkwardly hugged Lizzie's parents and her, while Mrs. Jackson and Percy just waved politely. Lizzie left, not taking a cab again, (learning to not do take the awkward driver's different languages, or them rolling down the window and shouting to random strangers who're smoking, "You'd look ten years younger if you didn't smoke!") happy to meet Paul's new family. They weren't too had.

__________________________

Yay! I finally updated! August 18... Happy birthday, Percy Jackson! I probably would've made a birthday one-shot, but school just started and I'm going to get all A's this year. An excuse for not updating as quickly? This one-shot took me awhile (I dunno why) and I'm actually working on another crossover. I'm only writing the prologue for the other crossover, and it wasn't listed in my other story. I'll probably post it, since no one else has done that idea.

I need some ideas for the next story.

Like it? Love it? Hate it? Tell me!