19

It was now a week later, and Lisa had been up and down with her mood. She tried a bit harder, but to Roseanne, it was virtually the same as the week before. Roseanne started brainstorming some plans for Lisa's birthday that was later on next week. She wasn't entirely sure what she wanted to plan for Lisa quite yet, but she had a solid idea.

Lisa had to work the night shift tonight, and got placed on the afternoon shift for tomorrow. Lisa took the day to run errands, and then when she got home she would go down to paint in her little area to get some of that work done, before she had to get ready for work at the station.

Meanwhile, Roseanne had been having an inner debate with herself. She had been wanting to call Pam for a while now, practically since the beginning of last week. She felt bad because she didn't want Lisa to feel like she was going behind her back or anything, but Roseanne needed to talk to Pam about Lisa.

She had a surgery tonight, that was likely to take her well past eight o clock, so she figured after she was finished that would be the perfect time to call up Lisa's mother.

Roseanne got out to her car, and turned the vehicle on, but she hadn't left the parking lot of the hospital. She dialed Pam now, seeing it that she was probably just finishing up dinner for Wayne and herself. She watched the LED sign out by the road change colors and messages with every ring.

"Hey honey!" She could hear some clanging of pots and pans, confirming that Pam was indeed making dinner. Roseanne chuckled, ever since Pam and Roseanne have started getting closer, Pam had been using terms her own mother would use to address her. "How have you been?"

"I'm good." She sighed and licked her lips. "I just wanted to talk to you about Lisa."

"Oh." She heard Pam suck in a breath, the line was silent for a second. "Is she okay?"

"Yeah. No." Roseanne sighed again and ran a hand through her hair. "I don't know. She's just been extremely distant lately. And last week she was crying because I was so mad at her. I kicked her out of the bedroom, and made her sleep on the couch." Roseanne explain, feeling guilty about it all over again.

"Oh, Roseanne, Lisa is very hard on herself. She has this," she paused, trying to find the right words to explain Lisa's behavior, "she has this compulsive drive to be perfect. She gets stressed out and either cries or camps out in a room for a while. One time she sat in her room for a week because she dropped a pass during a game. Another time she cried for three hours because she forgot to pick up milk for me at the store. Sometimes she wouldn't even come down for dinner, Wayne or myself would have to go bring it up to her. It's her just kind of shutting down, there's no real timetable for how long they last, but it will pass."

"So, it's probably nothing I did?" For some reason, she needed to hear Pam say it wasn't her fault for Lisa's behavior.

"No." Pam chuckled, as she continued to prepare the dish she was making. "Just give her a hug, and tell her everything is fine, it's going to be okay, and she'll be alright. Ice cream or pizza helps out a lot." Roseanne could just imagine Pam's smile on her face as they talked; Lisa loved pizza about as much as anything in her life.

"Okay. Well, I'm going to let you get back to dinner and I'm going to go home and see Lisa quick before she heads off to work. Thank you, Pam."

"Any time. Love you dear. Give Lisa a hug for me."

Roseanne pulled out of the parking lot, feeling a lot better now than she had practically the past two weeks. Sure, just a few nights ago the couple went out to a movie, and they always shared couch cuddles before bed, but deep down Roseanne thought her actions caused Lisa to be so off.