20

The small party seemed to be going over pretty well. Roseanne was relieved of the cooking duties. Her mom, along with Pam and Hankie, who was just begging for some scraps, took over the kitchen so she herself could spend time with the people who came. Roseanne sat on the couch and started people watching. Although there weren't very many people here, actually there was only both Lisa and Roseanne's immediate family plus Joy and Toby, Roseanne always enjoyed it.

Pam and her own mother were laughing and talking about recipes in the kitchen. Wayne and her father were talking about god knows what since everyone arrived. And Joy, Toby, and Lisa stood by the fire place, making small talk. Well, a lot of Lisa just nodding her head and the couple standing in front of her doing the majority of the talking.

Roseanne's eyes fixated on Lisa. She watched the brunette's each and every move. She could picture it, just a year or two, maybe even three years from now they would be in the same situation again. But this time with much more people, and for a much happier reason. Lisa would be so apprehensive, and probably be sticking to Roseanne's side like Velcro.

"You ever stop staring at her like that?" Joy's voice ripped her out of her quick day dream.

"You know, we could've been engaged on the same day?" She still stared at Lisa, her eyes unmoving, and a somberness to her voice.

"What? That-"

Quickly, she interrupted Joy. "I proposed to her." Joy's jaw dropped, watching Roseanne as she looked so emotional, and unemotional at the same time. "The night she told me she was sick."

"Wow." Joy blinked rapidly, trying to shake off the shock. "That's huge for you Roseanne. That means-"

"I'm in love with her." Roseanne breathed out, finishing Joy's sentence for her.

"Well yeah, I know you're in love with her. That's pretty obvious." Joy smiled, and nudged her shoulder into Roseanne's a little bit.

"No, Joy. You don't get it. I'm in love with her." Roseanne tapped the rim of her glass with her finger. Lisa turned to meet Roseanne's eye, sending a cheesy grin her way before she disappeared into the kitchen. Finally she turned to Joy, her crystal blue eyes holding every ounce of pain, and emotion the blonde was feeling.

"Like before, I don't know. I don't really know how to explain it. I feel like when we're apart for five minutes that it's actually been ten days. I feel lighter, happier, when I hear her voice. I can't breathe without her Joy." Roseanne cleared a tear drop as quickly as it started cascading down her cheek. "What if I was too late? I should've gone to a game with you like three years ago. I would've caught it by then. I would've had three years with her already, not only one."

"Hey, don't think like that." Joy put her hand on Roseanne's arm. "You were meant to happen now, a year ago. Not three."

Roseanne sighed rubbing at her forehead. The past three days she had so much stuff running through her head, it was damn near impossible to get anything straight; especially after she was done working each day. "I feel so damn guilty for every time I was mad at her."

Joy went to answer her, but a couple loud crashes coming from the kitchen made Joy stop and turn her attention to the kitchen. "You don't need to worry, because yours and Lisa's story is just beginning." Joy turned back to Roseanne, wrapping her arm around the blonde once she heard laughter in the kitchen.

The two best friends stayed like that for what felt like forever. They didn't speak, but after so long of being best friends, they knew how to comfort one another. And this was it. Their silent moment was interrupted by Lisa.

"Rosie, we gotta go for a ride to the store." Lisa smiled and held out her hand for Roseanne to take. "My mom spilled her wine all over the hamburger buns, and then I may have knocked three bottles of wine on the floor." Lisa laughed. Roseanne didn't miss Lisa's attempt at hiding her nervousness. The tall girl thought her girlfriend would be mad that she spilt three bottles of wine on her kitchen floor.