28

So many things had changed since Roseanne left eight months ago.

Joy found work to be not as fun. Of course she loved her job, but Roseanne made the slow times fun. The days where they were stuck in meetings, or had training sessions. She missed their coffee and lunch together. And she wasn't the only one in the hospital who missed Roseanne.

Joy made it her mission to continue with their Tuesday night gossip sessions. Of course, it had to be done over the phone, but it was much needed for both of them. It was very therapeutic for Joy, because she needed to vent to someone about Toby, and sometimes, Lisa just didn't cut it.

But, one day Roseanne had let it slip that she was in a relationship with a guy she had met at the local coffee shop. Joy felt both happy and sad when she heard the news. Roseanne seemed really happy, so of course, that made Joy happy. If her best friend was happy, then so was she. But she was sad for Lisa. She was sad because she knew that Roseanne and Lisa belonged together. Roseanne watered Lisa everyday and eventually Lisa bloomed into the beautifulest rose she was always destined to be. Lisa just needed careful attention. Lisa kept Roseanne in check. She was patient with Roseanne, and brought out a side that to her that Joy had never seen.

Toby was basically over at Lisa's new apartment at least a couple times a week. She had gotten a nicer place than she had previously owned, which both her and Toby were thankful for. Toby never understood how she lived in such a confined area when he went to Lisa's apartment the day she was shot. Toby did enjoy visiting with Lisa, even though she had somewhat closed him off during work, their days spent hanging out together were fairly normal. Toby always kept a pack of beer in her fridge. Joy was on a new health kick at the moment and she'd only let him drink lite beer, which did not sit too well with her counterpart.

Lisa. God, Lisa was silently falling apart. Her parents were always checking up on her. Roseanne's parents were checking in on her from time to time. Joy and Toby were driving her crazy with how often they coddled her. It was like they were her parents too. Every day was a struggle for her to wake up, to roll out of bed, and make it to work on time, let alone at all. She still expected to wake up smelling the blonde's tropical scent, and on special occasions, she still expected to wake up holding that perfect small frame. With everyone asking how she was doing, she couldn't fully comprehend how she actually felt.

She preferred to be alone. But, Toby wasn't near the worst company she's ever endured. She thought, somehow, Toby sensed that she didn't want to talk. Normally, he'd grab a beer, and they'd watch any form of football they could find on Lisa's little television. The dark haired girl figured Joy was pushing Toby to constantly visit her.

It was a slow day for Lisa. Really, there was barely any paper work to be done. Which was a good thing, because that was her least favorite part of the job. It took time away from her making the community of Rosewood better. She had implemented a new rule for herself, if she felt like going out for a patrol or if she wanted to head to a scene, she did. All of the previous chiefs typically only went to the big cases. Where it was necessary for them to be at. But Lisa was ticketing folks who were speeding, or she was even at some noise complaint scenes.

Honestly, it helped her run her department better. She saw her officers on the scene, in real time. She saw first hand what their strengths were, and what they needed to work on. She saw what people worked best together. She had seen some violations that led to relief of duty for some. But, she knew the type of people she was looking to hire.

Today was one of those days where she went out for a cruise in the unmarked car. She kept her eyes peeled for anything suspicious, any drivers that were driving distractedly, or anything that seemed out of the ordinary.