VIII

Pain is the first thing I felt when I became conscious.

I squeezed my eyes tightly as a wave of shivers swept my body. With my eyes still closed I started to move my arms under the blanket that was on top of me. That was when I became aware that there was something wrapped around my hands, covering them. My eyes shot open as I looked down and lifted my hands to see that they were bandage. I turned my hands over in a worry as the white bandages covered every inch of my hands. I brought one of my hands to my mouth, presumably to rip off the layers until a voice stopped me.

"I wouldn't if I were you." I turned my head to see the Mandalorian as he sat down against the wall on the other side of the barn. His head was down as he was probably sleeping until he heard me making some noise. "What happened?" I said only remembering small fine details.

"You did," The Mandalorian spoke before pausing as he got up from leaning against the wall and instead sitting up, "You saved the village." I gave him a questionable look as I looked down at my hands in my lap. The dots still weren't connecting. How'd I go from saving the village to bandaged hands. "You knew that the fuel from the AT-ST wasn't contained. So you used your abilities to save all of us from burning to a crisp." Slowly the memory started to surface to my mind. There was a few blank spots but I did remember that the AT-ST had managed to bust its fuel tank, causing the explosion to be a lot bigger than originally intended. I looked down at my hands as I remembered using my abilities but not of how they got to be bandaged.

"And my hands?" I asked still focused on my hands. What if the what the Mandalorian said about my powers failing me one day comes true? What if I can't use my powers anymore?

"You forgot about yourself when it happen. You were selfless and didn't make some type of barrier for yourself until it was too late." He gestured over to my hands, "Your hands got burned in the process." I looked at the Mandalorian to see that he was still looking at me, "Yelena, you save Cara and I as well."

My eyes widen a little at the Mandalorian's statement before I looked away. Part of me wanted to know why I was missing so much of what happened, "Well, was that all that happened?" I asked looking towards the window to hear noise. The Mandalorian didn't answer me immediately causing me to look towards the man. After a few more seconds he nodded before looking towards the door.

"Look who's awake. Someone's been asking about you." I looked towards the door to see Miss.Dune with the child. I smiled at the pair as the child squirmed in Cara's arms before waddling over to me. The child had quickly made his way over to me only to stop the moment I held my hands out. At first I was confused but then I followed his eyes as he looked at my bandages. I knew the child wasn't dumb, and knew that he knew that this meant I had gotten hurt.

"I'm okay," I said quietly catching the kid's eyes. "Come here." I edged on just wanting to hold him. The child cautiously walked over to me before reaching my hands. I wrapped both of them around him before pulling him into my chest. The weight of the kid on my newly wounded hands wasn't exactly pleasant and before I could even help myself I hissed in pain. The child looked up at me and cooed knowing that my pain was because I was holding him.

"I'm okay," I told him again, but I knew that the child knew better. After spending as many years as we did with each other you just know. I felt a presence next to me as I looked up to see the Mandalorian looking at the child and I. He held his hands out and I watched as the kid willingly leave my arms to go to his. A frown fell on my lips as the last thing I wanted to do, I couldn't.

"How are you feeling?" Cara asked as she sat down in a chair in the corner of the room. "Confused." I said as I nodded my head. "I don't remember much after I realized that the fuel from the AT-ST was leaking into the pond you two were in. I knew I needed to create a barrier for you guys and the village but that's about it."