《Chapter 6》

Xiao Zhan's POV

Wang Yibo turned around as I gripped his wrist tightly, but I couldn't stop him, so I turned around too, against my will.

"Hi, mom." Wang Yibo's head flew to my side, staring me into the eyes, and his facial expression said enough.

"Who do you think to run away from, young man! Remember that I was the one giving birth to you, ungrateful brat!" My mom held up her spatula as if she was about to slap me when she stopped mid-way, her eyes landing on little Suo'er.

"Awhh, hullow, baby~" her demeanour immediately changed, and Suo'er clapped his little hands, running towards my mom, who held her hands open, "ayi!"

My mom hugged Suo'er as Wang Yibo carefully approached them.

"Suo'er, you can't just run into everyone's arms!" Suo'er pouted at Wang Yibo as Yibo tried to look mad but ended up smiling too.

"Are you and my son together?" Wang Yibo blushed, fiddling his fingers as he bowed.

"Nice to meet you, ayi. Actually, this is our first date, and Zhan took me here, but I didn't get informed I would meet Zhan's parents, so I didn't bring any gifts, sorry!" I watched my mom nod, shivers running down my spine.

"And what about, Suo'er? Have you been through a divorce?" Wang Yibo's eyes widened just like mine as I held my breath.

I prayed inside my mind to any God or Gods listening for my mom to stop questioning Wang Yibo.

"That is a long story, but I have not been married before, and Suo'er is adopted." My mom hummed, her expression unreadable, and I was scared, but she ignored me, carrying Suo'er.

"Come, I'll ask my husband to make some food ready," my mom said, smiling softly at Wang Yibo before her eyes found mine, and she looked like she was going to hang me.

I prayed again.

"Can I help auntie in the kitchen?" My mom shook her head, sitting down with Suo'er in her lap as Wang Yibo and I took the opposite seats.

I glanced sideways, seeing my dad walk into the restaurant with groceries, and I pleaded with my eyes for him to come and save me, but he had the audacity to laugh at me.

My dad gave me a thumbs-up before running to the kitchen, and my mom didn't see him!

Damn it!

"So, how long do the two of you now know each other?" Wang Yibo folded his hands beneath the table.

"It's been a few days, almost a week, I think, but we had several encounters where we saw each other before but never really had the chance to interact." I noticed Bo di carefully choosing his words as my mom was in her interrogate mode.

Chen Zhouxuan came to our table, giving each of us a drink and a piece of cake, the only one who touched it was Suo'er.

"And how did you meet?" I grabbed Wang Yibo's hand beneath the table, giving it a tiny squeeze as Bo di showed no sign of noticing it.

"Well, that is a funny story," Yibo said awkwardly, rubbing his nape with the other hand that didn't get intertwined with mine.

"I called, Zhan ge ge~," Suo'er said, munching on his cake, full mouth as I glanced at Yibo, who looked like he wanted the world to open up and swallow him alive, and honestly, better the world would swallow me too or my mom would kill me.

My mom frowned as Yibo leaned over the table, using his thumb to clean a leftover hanging around Suo'er's mouth of the cake before he sat down again.

"I always told Suo'er that when something bad would happen, he should call 911. That day, I had some personal issues, and Suo'er was drawing when I went to the bathroom; when I came back, he was holding my phone and was talking to someone, and that someone was Zhan." My mom nodded, sipping her tea.

"Well, when I asked Suo'er why he'd called 911, he said that math was something 'bad', so he needed help. The very same day, I met Zhan in the café I own with a friend."

My mom shot me a look, her eyes burning as I stared at my tea for refuge.

"Did he eat takeaway again! That brat! I told you to learn how to cook and yet! Look at you, burning the pasta, leaving an egg to boil for 3 hours and putting an egg in the microwave to boil it! How in the world did I give birth to such an idiot!" I groaned as Wang Yibo giggled.

"Seriously, he's too good for you!" I frowned, "mom~" I whined.

She stared at me, "I mean it, Wang Yibo, you're way too good for this idiot here; you can still run, so run while you still can, I would advise you." I slammed my head against the table as Wang Yibo's giggles intensified.

"Auntie, I really love Zhan for who he is; if he can not cook, that's fine because I can." I refused to look up as I felt a tiny hand pet my head.

"Why do you love my son so much? I really can not understand it."

"Mom~" I whined, still not looking up.

"Although he can be idiotic at times, he treats Suo'er really well, and he is thoughtful and caring." I glanced up; my mom was blinking continuously."

"Sorry, Wang Yibo, but I think we are not talking about the same Xiao Zhan." Okay.

I was going to cry because I knew what was going to come.

"My son Xiao Zhan is the idiot who would run around in his Spiderman underwear, acting like he was Spiderman at home. My Xiao Zhan would hide because he didn't want to shower. And the Xiao Zhan I gave birth to would be the boy who even would write his name wrong while he was 10! Can you believe that!? I don't think we're talking about the same boy, Wang Yibo. My son is the biggest idiot in the world, so either we are talking about two different people or my son is possessed, I tell you." Wang Yibo laughed as I banged my head once again against the table.

"Mom, are you still so hateful for that one year I forgot your birthday that you must take your revenge now? 13 years later!?" I cried out, and my mom looked at me, her eyes serious.

"Yes."

Word count: 1092 words