《Chapter 12》

A few months later . . .

My phone kept buzzing as I watched Yibo lead the chat with Ji Li's mom, who came by to give us some housewarming gifts.

Many friends had already come by in the first week to give housewarming gifts, everyone was excited for me to move in with Yibo and Suo'er because they could see how happy they made me, and even Ji Li's mom had made time to visit.

It was nice and all, until Ji Li's mom started talking to Yibo, and it had been a long time ago since I stopped listening to their conversation when it took the turn to politics, I instead opted to watch Suo'er draw . . . Whatever he was trying to draw.

In between moments, I glanced at my phone, seeing Lulu Jie's name flashing by for the nth time, which caused a frown to appear on my face.

Lulu barely called if at all; even if it was an emergency, she opted not to call for some reason. I glanced behind me at Yibo and Ji Li's mom still in a heated argument. It would be rude to pick up now, right?

"Zhaaaaaaaaan ge ge~" I turned my phone over, returning my full attention to Suo'er, who was putting the last things on his drawing; he held up his drawing of what I suppose was a cow? With six legs? And perhaps a weird shape? And some rather uniquely chosen colour combinations, but I could at least recognise the sun that was yellow at the corner of the page and the blue clouds Suo'er had drawn.

"Zhan ge ge, what do you think?" I forced myself to smile, rubbing my nape.

"It's beautiful, the clouds, the sun, the grass and . . . Cow?" Suo'er held his head oblique, a pout adorning his features.

"Zhan ge ge! It's not a cow; it's a cat! Daddy promised Suo'er a cat!" Suo'er crossed his arms while I glanced at Yibo for help, who in return didn't even turn around or acknowledge my struggle, continuing his talk with Ji Li's mom.

"Zhaaaaaan ge ge~" I once again turned to Suo'er taking a deep breath. Yibo has been talking to Ji Li's mom for over two hours; why did they have so much to talk about?!

"Suo'er, it's a wonderful, unique, amazing, stunning, special, stunning, incredible, gorgeous-"

"Suo'er, baby, your Zhan ge ge is trying to say that he could not recognise it was a cat," Ji Li's mom butted in, giving me a 'motherly stern' look while I pouted, matching Suo'er's look.

"But ayi* (*auntie) how do you know what Zhan ge ge was going to say?" Suo'er said sulkily.

Before Ji Li's mom had the chance to answer that a loud banging on the front door got heard, Yibo glanced at me with a worried look, and I shrugged my shoulders.

The banging intensified, and I stood up when a voice got heard through the doors. It was the voice of someone I knew too well: "OPEN THAT DAMNED DOOR!" I frowned, and when I looked at Yibo, he had the same matching expression.

The only person who seemed to know what was going on was Ji Li's mom, who had already stood up and walked towards the door with a thunderous look on her face.

The voice continued to scream and bang on the door, "OR I'LL SWEAR TO THE MOTHER GODDESS OF ALL THE HOLY COWS THAT-" The door swung open as it revealed Ji Li with dishevelled hair.

"Oh, hi, mom?" Ji Li's eyes got wide blown open as he stared at his mom, the realisation settling down.

"MOM!?" Ji Li was going to die because Ji Li's mom turned to Yibo and me, giving a plastered fake smile; the same smile my mom would give me when I had done something that would get me grounded or punished because I made her lose face, and it was not a very sightful smile.