Chapter 7

Every day that went by became more and more of a struggle. I had to start rolling around in a wheelchair, I can see my bones through my skin. It hurts.. Breathing is so hard, It's less than a month now before my fateful demise and I'm surprisingly okay with it. Isaac basically lives with me now.. I tell him to go live his life but he refuses, he wants to be there for himself and Gus.
Isaac is playing his blind video games and I wheel over to him wearily.
"Isaac?"
"Hazel" he laughs.
"Don't you ever want to go back home and rest? It's okay to leave me here. I'm fine for now" I say and then cough my lungs out.
"Hazel, we've talked about this," he turns to where he hears the sound of my voice, in which he's gotten quite good at, "I want to stay here and help. You're my only friend Hazel, my best friend. If you don't want me here then, well you know what, I don't give a damn. Gus would want me here for you!" His voice quivers. I wheel closer to him and wrap my arms around him without hesitating.
"I'm sorry Isaac."
Later, when I got into my room I looked at Gus' box of letters. I picked it up and squeezed it. I hadn't read one in forever, I was too busy with appointments and support group that I didn't have time to look at it. All I had of Augustus was my dreams and the memory of his voice, which was soon to be gone along with me. I opened the box and read one.
To my love,
Hazel, I told you the news, that I was to die. You took it quite well but I could hear you silently weeping. It's okay to cry, Hazel Grace. I did. I'm not ready to die. I'm not ready to leave this god forsaken earth. I'm not ready to leave you. I'm not prepared to sink into oblivion like the rest of the sorry bastards in this world. But I have to learn, Hazel Grace, I do.
Love,
Gus Waters