Chapter 1

Dear Hazel Grace,

        Today was the first day I met you. I know it's a bit pathetic to be 'writing to you' in my journal, but I find it fun actually. I'm sorry if I creeped you out today in support group. I hardly even realized I was staring at you.. I mean I knew I was looking at you but I need mean to look like a total creep. I was just trying to get a better look at your beautiful face. As soon as I looked at you I knew you must be the one. Haha cheesy right? Love at first sight.. Except I don't think you like me that way... yet. 

                                                                                                        Love,

                                                                                                                         Augustus Waters

        I laughed to myself, remembering that day. Remembering how incredibly weird but right that day felt. My smile slowly turned into a frown.. I also remember how these letters end. Death. 

             "Did you open it yet? Did you read what it says?" Isaac asked. 

        "Yes, I'll read it to you." I said.

I read it to him slowly. I didn't miss one word. I couldn't. The words were too precious to miss. The memories were too precious not to remember. 

        "He never told me about these letters. I don't know how I missed them I could still see out of one eye. Haha" He spoke quietly. 

        "Looks like he had secrets."

        "Looks like."

A few hours later, Isaac's Mom took him home. I came down for dinner. Spaghetti. 

        "Hey Honey, ready for some America's Next Top Model after dinner?" Mom said, she didn't look at me, she was looking at a book. A very thick book at that. She was studying. 

        "You seem a bit busy there, Mom."

        "Well-"

        "Plus, I've found interest in another show. It's called Xfactor. I like watching people use what I don't have." Of course when I said what I don't have, I was talking about my sucky lungs that even Phillip is having trouble supporting. She looked up at me and shook her head. That's when my Dad walked in.

        "Hello girls," he kissed my mom on the forehead and then kissed me on the forehead. 

        "Hi Dad." I smiled. I took a deep breath and sat in a chair at the table. Soon the spaghetti was served. There was complete silence for about 7 minutes until Mom spoke up. 

"Hazel, honey, we need to talk to you about something very important." Dad nodded rhythmicallly along with my mom's words. She started tearing up. 

        I lifted an eyebrow. "What?"

        "We need to know," my dad took a sharp breath, "what you want your funeral to be like."

       I sat in shock. "You're kidding right."

        "Hazel, we need to kn-" 

        "You need to know?! You need to know now? You're speaking to me about this over dinner?!" I took a very deep breath, "Why don't you ask me when I am about to die!?" I took deep breaths until my breathing was steady again.

"I think we should tell her." My dad whispered to my mom.