Chapter 2

My mom looked at me and then quickly glanced away. I could see tears form in her eyes. Something bad...

      "Hazel..." my dad trailed off.

      "Hazel, honey, remember the last doctors appointment you had about a week ago?"

        "Yeah?" I said confused.

        "The phalaxnifor isn't working for you anymore." my mom said choking up. tears started forming in my eyes. I was going to die.

        "At all?" I asked.

        "At all." my dad said. He grabbed my mom's hand and squeezed it.

       "How long?"

      "Until what, Hazel."

      "Until I die, Dad," I took a deep breath, "how much longer do I have until I die?." I said sternly. I was trying to come off strong. I didn't want to seem weak.

      "About 2 months." my dad said quietly and looked up at me with the saddest look ever.

     "Why wasn't I told this before?" I asked. I still came off strong.  I was actually very angry. I have the right to know when I'm going to die.

       "We didn't know how to tell you." My mom said.

         I walked as fast as my sucky lungs could make it through. I got into my room and cried so hard. I had a raging headache. I should've seen this coming. I mean, I'm getting wearier by the day. I even have a button to call my mother or father up when I need something because my lungs can't take me yelling. I pressed the button, I needed to be hooked up to the oxygen tank for sleep. Soon my mom was in my room. We didn't speak at all. After she was done. She kissed me on the forehead and left.

Next Day:

     Dear Hazel Grace,

    You're amazing. I know we've only just met a few days ago but I am convinced that I'm in love. You're the one Miss Hazel. I know it sounds truly crazy, but I'm being totally serious. Anyway, Isaac thinks we're meant for eachother too. Oh, and he says you're really cool and thanks for helping him get over his ex. I am almost done reading The Imperial Affliction I find it awesome. It's no sciFi but I still think it's great. This Peter Van Houton guy must be awesome. Haha well I'm going to go to sleep. Hope you have a great day/ night.

                                       Love,

                                            Augustus Waters

I smiled and cluched the paper. I put it up against my chest and closed my eyes and imagined him. I imagined his smile, his laugh, his everything. After that letter I seemed to have remembered.  I remembered the cigarette hanging from his mouth. I sat the paper next to me on my bed. I counted the letters.

"32 more." I whispered to myself as I took the box into my hands and cried.