CH:08

┈     ┈     ┈     ⋞ 〈 🍍 〉 ⋟     ┈     ┈     ┈

┈ ┈ ┈ ⋞ 〈 🍍 〉 ⋟ ┈ ┈ ┈

The View Apartments- Penthouse
4:45pm

Intimidated; the most suitable word to describe the root of the sudden feeling of nausea in Changbin's stomach as he sat at that table. His eyes, no matter how hard they tried to focus on the dishes laid out before them, couldn't help but scan the beautifully organized dining room that he was sitting in. And he could only hope that the barely touched food in front of him would remain unnoticed by the other talkative people around the table.

"Changbin," Chan snapped him out of his trance, and Changbin had to gulp thickly to prepare a polite answer for the older man, "is the food... not nice?" He pouted, shoulders slumping and soft pout already forming on his lips. And at that assumption, Changbin felt a bit bad, to say the least. Because the food was indeed delicious, and his lack of appetite was rather based on new insecurities, developed only in that moment, that he could never cook so well for his family, than Chan's own about the meal's taste.

The setting itself was so welcoming and homey so, Changbin's unsettled state was really sourced from the new assumption that he could never provide Kai and Felix with such luxury. And the depression that those thoughts brought upon him was even worse than the slight guilt that he felt at Chan's question. But of course, he could not word that- well at least not then and there.

So gulping, Changbin looked at each of the familiar faces around that table, a small, forced smile forming on his face as he shook his head. "No way," he chuckled, stuffing his cheeks with a portion of rice then swallowing. "It's really good, I promise. I was just thinking about work and all, so I got a little carried away, I'm sorry."

"Oh, alright. Just was a bit worried since you weren't talking... or eating much." Chan chuckled, embarrassed, his heightened nervousness questioning its own presence since it'd been quite a while since he felt like that.

Swallowing a bite from his meal, he looked over at Kai, cooing at the way the toddler was munching on a piece of chicken so adorably whilst his upper body struggled to reach the top of the table from his seat. And it warmed Chan's heart, even more, to see his very own child eating at his very own table in the blue plastic plate that he had bought in preparation for that meeting.

It felt good.

It felt so good to have a child of his own.

"Where do you work?" Chan asked Changbin cautiously, hoping that his attempt to dodge the coming silence wasn't too intrusive. "I- I assume Felix already told you some things about me. And don't feel obligated to answer but, I just wanna get to know you, you know? But that's if you want to of course. I'll respect any and every boundary that you put up..."