Prologue

My legacy, my kingdom, gathered right in front of my palace cheering and anticipating the moment that will determine the future of our kind.

Their emperor was about to be born, my child that will guide the army and put an end to this war. A true leader just like his father; level-headed, strong, and tactical individual. That's how it must be, no other way was acceptable.

Raising my hands, a gesture to silence the crowd before my speech, I held faint hope in my heart.

"Our kind," I began, my words echoing in the air. "Mocked, stomped by the others, laughed at for our roots with the Earthians." Booing and whistling sent a smile upon my old and tired face. "I understand!" I shouted feeling the pain and disappointment of my people. "We might not be Martians, Azgardians, or even Qourk, but we are descendants of the greatest kind that ruled over this galaxy. People of the Sun, who once conquered the Moon, and held elders at their feet."

Taking a moment for the cheers to quiet down I continued, "But never forget that even the greatest fall. Our ancestor, The Emperor has committed a crime of mating with earthians, creating a new race, much weaker, yet more wilful than any other. We aren't a mistake! This child, my son, he will bring greatness to this nation, this planet!"

The excitement that overtook the thousands has made me hopeful, this mustn't be the end.

"Sir," Helarias, my right-hand and a trusted friend approached me with a little box. "It's done, child has been born."

The fear and escalating heartbeat, taking a last look at my nation so full of pride and strength. I gulped, for this to be the first time I felt truly terrified.

It had to be a boy, otherwise we stood no chance, only men could inherit the right to lead. With the biggest nations waiting to destroy our planet for insubordination, this was the moment of truth.

"Do you remember what we spoke about?" Not receiving a verbal answer, I called his name, "Helarias."

Averting his eyes up from the ground, he looked into mine and nodded. "Yes, my friend. If it's a girl, I will do as you said..." hesitance still present in his tone.

Seeing his uncertainty I asked, "What?"

"I just... I don't understand, why won't you do it yourself, my king?"

A tiny smirk overtook my wrinkly face, he knew me better than that, why ask when knowing the answer? My reaction was enough as he briefly looked at the crowd and nodded in understanding.

"Before we do this," he stopped me from opening the box. "Her name, please let it be from her father. The King. The Emperor of the Sun."

If it were to be a girl, she deserved as much as a name. Helarias was right, for the countless of times, I became grateful to my friend before acting hastily. Taking a step closer, I whispered into his ear, so no guards could hear.

"Elina. The sun, beautiful, bright, and shining in ancient Greek... May she survive."

"Understood, the child will know her name. I promise you, my friend."

Exchanging the signs of love in our language I turned towards my people and opened the box containing our future. Observing the silver blood that was drained from my newborn, Helerias and I exchanged quick, yet one of the most meaningful looks in our lives.

Silver for a girl, obsidian for a boy.

Closing the box, he rushed into the palace, watching him for the last time, once he disappeared my eyes have focused on the crowd in front. Taking the knife gifted by the previous leaders I slit my throat in front of the nation. There was no more future for this kind.