No.12

Washu POV

Playing with the glass against the wooden counter of the bar I waited for Elina to arrive. Rather unusual for my friend to be late, especially when it concerned a mission at hand. The music must have been especially loud tonight as well as the chatters, causing my head to pound without a break. Or maybe it was the guilt of my earlier outburst that caused me to feel this bad?

"Another one?" the barman asked pointing at the empty glass in my hand. Glancing to the side, noticing the 'troll girl' whose name I did not know, she was doing her best to ignore me—it didn't feel right.

"Yeah, whatever," I muttered and checked the phone noticing a new message. "I won't make it tonight, do your best..." whispering under my nose I couldn't believe Elina has stood me up, but most importantly the mission. Has she gotten a lead I wasn't aware of?

Ugh, I was such a shitty friend. Elina should have never seen this side of me, why did I allow myself to snap? On top of it on her, the only person in my life who I knew cared about me. Maybe she wasn't the most considerate person, she made her deal of mistakes and for certain took many lives—the number of times she returned covered in blood that wasn't hers—but she wasn't a monster.

Taking a quick shot my face twisted at the awful taste. This 'alcohol' thing was seriously nasty, making sure to ask for a glass of water the next time they want to pour more. 

Sighing I searched the crowd. Was the princess even here? Wouldn't she prefer to keep herself low and not exposed in a place filled with intergalactic beings? The mustache dude wasn't here either, which wasn't a bad thing. He was giving me weird vibes. 

This made me wonder however, was there any chance another moonchild resided on earth? The possibility of meeting my own species enthralled me.

Suddenly the crowd began to cheer and scream loudly, confused as to what this was about, I asked some random girl standing not too far from me. "You haven't heard? The guild liberated one of the planets taken over by the Pentagon! It's the first time they made such a huge step!" she screamed into my ear as if I wouldn't be able to hear otherwise.

"Wow..." I uttered.

Watching the crowd curse out the military and cheer on the guild was revolutionary and terrifying at the same time. If only they knew I was a part of it... willing or not, they would burn me alive.

"Stop looking so shocked, others might start questioning," a voice that has already imprinted itself on my mind sassed with a touch of concern. "What? You just had a funny expression that's all. I will leave you alone."

Today she seemed a bit different, almost down in a way, the way her usually cheeky smile resided on her full lips, tonight wasn't present.

"What about you? I don't see you celebrating," I pointed at the others.

Frowning she shifted unsurely, not knowing whether she should allow herself to talk to me after I told her to leave me alone.

"Not my concern really, got my own problems to worry about," she put forth without any remorse. "Pentagon is the least of it as of now," an unintentional scoff escaped her lips. "What about you?"

Shrugging I replied truthfully, "Not into politics."

Her unexpected laugh offended me. "Wish I could be this carefree," she added without any thought.

"Excuse me?" I grew irritated, something that has rarely happened before earth. 

Leaning against the wooden counter she spoke lowly, ensuring I got each and every word. "It's not something to be into. It's all around us, whether we like it or not."