No.22

The truth. The woman told me I would find it here, right under this address. However, once I finally arrived at the place, after many hours spent on an empty train, almost as if no other soul went in this direction, I glanced at Washu's confused expression.

"Is this it?" she asked unsurely.

Looking at the paper and back at the little house in front with no signs or numbers I shrugged. "It should be..." I told her, feeling anxious.

The place was located in the middle of nowhere, crops of large and wide farms were surrounding it, giving an ominous aura to the small wooden house.

My friend rubbed her shoulders, and dramatically whined, "It's cold and creepy."

Raising a brow, of course she didn't feel cold, we were used to much different temperatures out in space, however, she did have a point. It was a bit chilly even for me.

"Let's not waste time," I grumbled and went straight ahead, hearing my friend's footsteps behind me.

When a strong wind pushed against my body, I paused for a second only to notice someone left the front door and stood in my way. A kid, maybe in her mid-teens, she carried a little frown on her face as her blue eyes squinted in order to get a better look.

"Who are you?" she asked without hesitation.

Exchanging quick looks with my brunette friend I looked back at the kid and gave her my best smile.

"That's creepy, stop doing that," she told me and surprisingly I felt offended. What was wrong with my smile?

"Well, it was a bit forced," Washu pointed out and I shushed her. "Hey kid, sorry to disturb you but are your parents home?"

"I don't have parents."

I saw my friend bite her lip and sigh. "Okay... Is anyone in charge? You can't possibly live here by yourself."

"What do you want from her?"

Rubbing my neck kid was in complete defense mode, however without knowing she told me everything we needed to know. There was someone important in this little house, someone I had to meet.

"We heard she could help," I told truthfully, having no reason to explain myself to this kid, but deciding it was the right thing to do. "I was told she could help me remember.. some of my past."

"She can," the kid said simply.

"Can we see her?" I asked.

The girl took her time, taking me in with a rather displeased expression, she then went ahead and did the same to my friend.

"Oh," she suddenly let out. "A moonchild.. I think?" she spoke to herself, but we could easily hear her whispers. "Okay." Her sudden change of attitude surprised me, but I wasn't going to complain. "Come on in," she called and turned around walking right inside.

The porch wooden floor bent under my feet, the house was in desperate need of renovation, at least that's what I thought until we went inside.

It was cozy, and the dim light provided enough to see every corner and shelf. There was a lot of stuff in here, random items and books, but it wasn't messy, everything had its place.

"I will speak to her first, wait here," the kid told us having no problem leaving two strangers in a room.

"So..." Washu began but I shook my head.

"I guess we wait and find out," I told her doing my best to keep the nonchalant expression.

Washu walked around the room occasionally poking some items, nearly causing a vase to fall, she shot me an apologetic smile and decided to stand in place as her foot tapped at the floor.