Chapter 11

Annabeth

"Rise, children," Athena said. I hadn't even kneeled. I was still so angry at my mother for cursing me. The wizards didn't seem to know what to do. I gave them a look that said, Say nothing rude, and she won't kill you.

I hadn't seen my mother since the Mark of Athena. I didn't know what she was doing here, now.

"Mother," I said through gritted teeth. "What are you doing here?" I stepped towards her. Athena took my face in her hands and smiled.

"I have come to offer my help," she said. "You, my darling, have your own task ahead of you. I have waited centuries for a child of mine to suceed. You, Annabeth, I have complete faith in." She looked around at the wizards and my friends.

"I have a pro to your situation, if you're willing to listen," my mother said. We nodded. "Very well. Perseus and Annabeth. You know most of what I am about to say."

We nodded. "During the Titan War," she said. "Grover Underwood led the Nature Spirits. Thalia Grace led the Hunters of Artemis. You two led the camp. I know you all fought Kronos himself in some way. Am I not wrong?"

"Yes, my lady," Percy said. It seemed weird for my boyfriend, 'my lady.' "But it's all behind us. What does Kronos have to do with Gaea rising?"

"I understand your confusion, Son of Poseidon," Athena said. "Listen to my words. A Half-Blood of the Olympian Gods, shall reach thirteen against all odds. And see the world in endless sleep, the hero's soul cursed blade shall reap. A single choice shall end their days, Olympus to preserve or raze."

"Mother," I began, "That's the Great Prophecy from the Titan War."

I noticed how confused the wizards looked. Piper, Jason, Leo, Hazel, and Frank looked like they understood bits and pieces, but they weren't familiar with anything.

Athena winked. "There is my help to you."

"Not to be rude, Mother, but you didn't give us any help," I said. "You just recited the lines to the Great Prophecy of the Titan War. With a few motifications."

She took my chin in her hand. "You are my daughter," my mother said. "A true daughter of Athena. You have wisdom, battle, and strategy in your blood. For Zeus's sake, you helped save Olympus! Figure it out, my child. You know what I'm speaking of."

My mother turned to Percy. "Percy Jackson, come," she said. I walked away to Piper and she hugged me, telling me Luke was a hero and not to think of him dying. Even though I saw it happen.

Mom and Percy talked for like five minutes. Then she turned back to us. "Goodbye, Annabeth. Be strong, smart, and brave my daughter," she said. "But don't forget your wisdom."

She winked again, and disappeared in a column of flames, charring the front of Percy's shirt.

"That's the second time your Mom's barbacued my shirt in the last year!" he complained, holding up the burnt tatters. "What does she have against me? Brand new shirt," he muttered under his breath.

"I told you this about one hundred times when we were twelve," I groaned. "Athena and Poseidon have always hated each other. They battled each other for patron god of Athens, your dad made out with Medusa in my mom's temple-they're bitter rivals, Perce."

He seemed to consider this. Then his eyes narrowed and he said. "It was not one hundred times," he said. Oh, gods. He has to go back to that.

"Okay, whatever," I laughed breezily. "We're the only children of Athena and Poseidon to ever get along."

"Yeah," Percy said. "I'm not going to let you down like Luke did. I made a promise to my father's statue that I would always look out for you and we'd always be friends. That'll never change."