35 | The Best Friend Code

A COLLEGE LECTURE IS like a Dora the Explorer episode; your professor asks a question, stares at you and then answers their own question

A COLLEGE LECTURE IS like a Dora the Explorer episode; your professor asks a question, stares at you and then answers their own question. And Mr. Rahul Kakkar exactly fit into one of those kinds of people.

I can't quite put a finger to what exactly his problem was, but he can keep blabbering for two hours straight without even realising that everyone has zoned out and nobody's even listening to him.

It's one of those days today.

I'm fucking bored and I'm just waiting for the bell to ring so that I can run out of this class and never come back.

Why did we have an English class in a medical hostel is a question I'm dying to ask the authorities. Mr. Kakkar was reading out the essays we had written to the entire class which we weren't even warned about before submitting. This was totally unfair to student kind. At present he had just finished reading Arjun's essay.

"What inspired you to write this essay, Arjun?" He directs his question to Arjun who was staring back at him, looking bored out of his mind.

"The due date." He replies nonchalantly, making the class erupt in collective laughter.

"Can you just imagine how successful we'd be if we studied regularly and spent our time wisely? We're not gonna do it obviously but can you just imagine?" Vedika whispers from side, making me chuckle.

"Yes, noisy girls at the back?" The professor yells in our direction. "Is it something you'd like to share with the entire class?"

Everyone snaps their heads towards us as Mr. Kakkar has a very furious look plastered across his face. Vedika and I look down immediately, avoiding his glare.

"Your names?" He questions, narrowing his eyes at us. If eyes could kill, both of us would have been underground by now.

"I'm Zivah Joshi. She's Vedika Kaur."

He folds his arms against his chest in a total dramatic way. "Alright, Zivah and Vedika, if you'll were paying attention to what I was saying, then tell me what was Dhruv's essay about?" He questions with a raised eyebrow.

I immediately hear Heena chuckle from two benches away. I could swear on cigarettes that she didn't know the answer to his question but she was thoroughly enjoying are misery right now.

I smirk at her as I begin talking. "Sir, he had written about the biological insights of abortion, how it should be legalised world wide for population control and how every women should have a right to exercise the process without having to face any criticism by her family or the society."

Vedika gives me an amused look while Mr. Kakkar looks defeated as his face becomes pale with embarrassment.

"Well, um," he clears his throat. "That still doesn't mean you'll were allowed to talk in my class. You two will attend detention at the end of the day." He announces, getting back to his chair.