44 | Vedika, save Him a Dance

SAMIR WAS Arjun and Dhruv's distant cousin

SAMIR WAS Arjun and Dhruv's distant cousin. Cousin. My mind wavers back to the day when Arjun punched him in the campus a month ago.

"Stay away from him, Vedika." He had said. "He is not what you think he is."

Why?

The dinner party was unfolding like a scene from a high-society movie. Mr. and Mrs. Singh greeted guests dripping in wealth – seriously, these folks looked like they could buy a yacht just for kicks. The place shimmered in golden lights, and the tables were decked out like they were hosting royalty. It was the kind of rich that made you question your life choices.

Amidst this spectacle, my brother Aman and Kavya were the picture of relationship goals, giggling like school kids. Their easy vibe made me grin. Why did they make it look so effortless when my life was like a soap opera?

Suddenly, a hand reached out, firmly intertwining with mine. Before the surprise could register, my instinct to scream was stifled by a hand covering my mouth.

Samir.

"How are you, darling?" he uttered in a tone that could have been lifted from a classic romance. His words hung in the air, and my eyes betrayed a mixture of surprise and amusement.

I couldn't help but chuckle. "Samir, we don't need a dramatic reunion," I replied, attempting to extract my hand.

But Samir, undeterred, wore a grin. "Darling, you've been denying our love story. Let's pretend, just for tonight, that we had our beach sunset, stolen kisses..."

His words painted a picture of a story that never existed. I tilted my head, half-amused and half-confused. "Samir, there's no 'us.' This is just a fabricated nostalgia you're selling."

He placed a hand on my arm, and a shiver ran down my spine. "Vedika, let's not deny the undeniable."

"Why didn't you tell me you were Arjun's cousin?" I questioned, my curiosity overpowering the awkwardness.

Samir made a disgusted face. "Let's not talk about him. Let's talk about you."

"Why are you suddenly so interested?" I retorted, a note of suspicion in my voice.

He leaned in, his gaze intense. "I like everything about you. Except the fact that you're Arjun's roommate. I don't like him being around you."

A wave of conflicting emotions washed over me. I felt an inexplicable need to uphold Arjun's character, despite our banter and apparent disdain for each other. The soft spot within me remained elusive, leaving me confused.

"Samir, this is getting too dramatic, even for you," I remarked, attempting to diffuse the intensity of the moment.

"But Vedika," he persisted, "I'm serious. I've always liked you. Why don't we give 'us' a chance?"