Chapter 18

After Mrs. Brown had left the hospital, there was silence in the waiting room as everyone reflected on what had happened. Brittney had stopped crying and was seated on the waiting chairs while Lawrence had gone to buy some coffee for her. Ayden knew that there was something he was missing out. It seemed that his mother and father had a long history with the Jules and this was also connected to Brittney's mother Gladys.

He wanted to ask but he did not want to upset Brittney any more. He always mocked her but he never went too far to hurting her. Yes he had once or twice hurt her feelings, but he always regretted and made up for it. She did not know that one time when he saw her crying herself to sleep he had bought her the chocolates she had found in her office from an anonymous person. Even at work he had always made sure that people respected her. He once fired a man who was talking badly of Brittney behind her back in the men's toilet.

Lawrence came back and handed Brittney her coffee which she took in slow sips. Ayden could see that Lawrence loved Brittney from the way he was looking at her and he knew they deserved each other. Yes, he knew what had happened to Lawrence when he was in England and felt sorry for him. He could not use such person information to hurt him.

He had his own demons safely hidden and did not want anyone to find out. "I presume that Gladys was Brittney's mother?" He asked no one in particular. No one answered him but he already knew the answer. He turned to the Jules and directed to them his next question. "What happened between you, my parents and Brittney's mother?" Mrs. Jules sighed and looked at him with sorrow. "That answer my son should come from your parents. They are the ones to give you the full story. But I don't think your mother will be willing to tell you anything." Ayden looked confused and wanted to continue to question them but the doctor came to them and informed them that they were allowed to see their father but only one person was allowed for five minutes.

Brittney looked at him with eyes begging him to let her in and he nodded his head. She gave him a thankful smile and stood up to follow the doctor. She was dressed up in protective clothes before she was allowed to go in. She sat on a seat that was placed at the bedside and held her father's hand. He looked so pale and weak.

"Dad, please wake up, I love you so much daddy. I am sorry for the words I said to you yesterday, I did not mean them." She said still sobbing. "Just open your eyes for me and even if you get mad at me I'll always smile and never get angry at you. You know yesterday I wanted to call you, but I was afraid of what you will tell me on the phone. I slept late waiting for your call dad. Please wake up." She said softly. The nurse came to tell her that her time was up and she kissed her dad on the forehead whispering to his ears that she loved him. She just hoped that he could hear her and he could fight this.