Chapter 22

Ayden and Lawrence rushed through the hospital doors. He had called his parents to tell them what had happened and they were on their way to the hospital. Mrs. Brown looked at Lawrence with hatred but did not say anything as she hugged her son.

The doctor came out of the patient's room and assured everyone that Mr. Brown was okay, but he had to run some tests on him during the day to be absolutely sure. Everyone rushed in to see him while Lawrence remained outside waiting for his parents. He was still digesting the information in the letter and he sighed. He was still having doubts of Britt leaving. When she left the hospital she was in good spirits and he knew she loved him. Maybe love wasn't enough and she wanted some space.

He knew that if she had asked for space he would have given to her and still supported her. However his subconscious was telling him to dig deeper and he fished out his phone to call Derricks father. "Hello," A grumpy voice answered the call.

Lawrence: Mr. Elkins this is Lawrence how are you?

Mr. Elkins: Oh Lawrence my boy long time, I am okay how you are?

Lawrence: I need your help, together with Derrick, you can help me. Can you come to my parents' house for dinner at 7:00 PM?

He asked hopefully. There was a pause until Mr. Elkins answered with an okay. His parents arrived while he was putting his phone away and his mother hugged him tightly. They were allowed to see Mr. Brown but he was sad that his daughter was not around to see him. Lawrence could sense that he was blaming himself and once when he had turned to look at Mrs. Brown he had seen a smile on her face, as if she was enjoying all this. That confused him.

He did not trust her and he decided he will voice his doubts to his parents and work with people he trusted. He trusted Ayden, but he did not trust his family.

They were leaving the hospital when his father asked. "What's wrong son?" He gave his father the letter while his driver was driving them home and explained to his parents his doubts.

That evening, the Elkins visited and after dinner, they went to the study room to discuss the issue. Derrick and Mr. Elkins promised to investigate the matter and find out what had happened. Lawrence was also instructed to call at any time if he remembered anything. He knew that Derrick had become fond of Brittney and they were basically siblings and he will do anything for her. He gave him a reassuring smile while they left the house.

Lawrence gave his parents a goodnight kiss and went to his room to sleep only thinking of Brittney and the times they had spent together.

***************************************************************************

Brittney knew that her step mother was serious about killing the Jules, when she showed her a video of a sniper following Lawrence parents and he was a call away from her orders. She loved them so much that she could not let anything happen to them. That is why, when she was given instructions to drive her car back to her apartment, write an emotional letter to Lawrence telling him of her departure, which she knew will kill him inside, leave her phone in the house, withdraw a large sum of money and leave without a trace, she did it all for him. To protect him.

She stayed in the dark room crying and hoping that Lawrence will not believe anything on the letter and try to find her. However, when her step mother entered the room with a triumphant smile, she knew that things had gone her way.

"Oh Brittney, the letter was so emotional that it touched my heart. Tears came down my cheeks when Ayden told me about it." She waited for her to respond but what could she say. She had lost everything. "Ayden was angry with you. I knew he loved you in his own twisted way, but he may start hating you with time." Her heart broke while her stepmother just smirked.

"Poor Lawrence, he was so heartbroken with red eyes" she laughed loudly enjoying all this. "His mother had to console him like a little baby. I knew that boy was never strong." Brittney's tears started falling freely because she knew that Lawrence could not take being heartbroken because of love. She had done worse than his EX- Anne.

Mrs. Brown Looked at her and sneered "Pathetic." She walked to the door but before she left her, she remembered that her husband had woken up from the comma. She had preferred that he would never wake up, but still, she was satisfied in seeing his pain when he learnt that his beloved daughter was not there. "Before I forget, your father woke up and he was disappointed when he did not see you. What if I tell him you ran away, he may get another stroke and die this time." She said closing the door and her maniac laughter could be heard in the small cabin.

That was too much to take. Brittney fell down and started crying uncontrollably. The pain was too much for her. All she could feel was darkness. The last thing she heard was one of the kidnappers cursing and being carried away.