Chapter 26

Brittney woke up with a start thinking it was all a dream. She saw herself in a hospital bed and an IV fluid attached to her hand. Her body was weak but she managed to remove the needle from her hand and sat strait on the bed. Her throat was dry and she needed water. She looked at the table near her bed and saw a glass of water. She tried picking it up, but her hands were weak and it fell waking up Ayden who was sleeping on the sofa.

Brittney had not seen him and when he moved close to her she jumped with fright but relaxed when she realized it was Ayden. He gave her another glass of water and that is when she remembered what had happened. "Lawrence, where is Lawrence?" She asked while trying to leave the bed but she was too weak and fell back.

Ayden came to her side and tried to make her sit down. "Relax Britt, you are weak and I have paged the doctors to come and check on you." He said, but Brittney did not listen to him. She wanted to see Lawrence because she saw all the blood.

While still struggling to stand, the nurses and doctors came in and asked her to relax. She kept calling Lawrence name in a whisper while they checked on her. "Well Miss Brown, you are out of the woods, but you should rest and eat to regain your strength." The doctor said. Brittney ignored him and asked for Lawrence. "Where is he, is he fine?" She asked looking at Ayden and the doctors, who were looking anywhere but her.

"Relax Miss Brown, Mr Jules is under observation and will be okay." The doctor assured. She felt relieved and asked to see him but they said that he was not allowed visitors but they will take her later to see him when she has eaten some food.

She wanted to argue but decided to follow the doctor's instructions. Before the doctor left, he hesitated but Ayden nodded at him. "One more thing Miss Brown" "Call me Brittney" Brittney interrupted him. The doctor smiled at her and continued. When we carried out some tests on you, we found out that you are 3 weeks pregnant. You should take care of yourself now. If you had stayed in that place for longer and not taken any food, you would have lost the baby." The doctor said, gave her a small smile and left her room.

Brittney instinctively held her tummy protectively. A little baby was growing in her tummy. Hers and Lawrence. Tears fell from her eyes and Ayden came to comfort her thinking she was sad. "Everything will be alright siz. I promise." He said. Brittney shock her head. "I am not sad Ayden, this are tears of joy. Please take me to Lawrence." She asked pleadingly. Ayden could not deny her. "Okay, I will take you," Brittney squealed and was moving out of bed. "But you have to take your food first before we go. Remember there is another human being growing in you." Ayden said with a smile when he saw the disappointment on her face. He held her in a tight hug and whispered in her ears.

"I was so afraid I was going to loss you. You had been out for twelve days and I was very worried Britt. Please don't do that again. Promise." He said and held her face so they could maintain eye contact. Brittney saw the raw emotions from her brother's face and she wiped the tear that fell from his left eye. "I promise brother." She said in a whisper because she could not find her voice. They stared at each other for some time and as Ayden was about to say something, the door was opened.

On cue the nurse came in with a plate of hot rice, beef and cucumber. Her stomach growled due to the smell of the food and the sibling laughed. Ayden took the food and thanked the nurse promising to feed her. He sat near Brittney and took a spoonful of rice urging her to open her mouth and eat. "You promise to take me to Lawrence right after the meal?" Brittney asked.

Ayden smiled and nodded his head. But Brittney refused to open her mouth until he took his pinky finger and linked it with hers. "I promise." He said with a chuckle due to her childlike behavior. She happily ate her food knowing in few minutes she will be seeing Lawrence.