Chapter 11

Payton's POV

I stared back at my reflection in the mirror. One eye still piercing brown another black and blue. I knew it would bruise but I wasn't expecting this bad of one. I hated what I saw but I couldn't look away. I felt like the anger kept me together.

"He's going to get what he deserves." Luke said walking up behind me. He was looking at what I was looking at. I made eye contact.

"I don't want to be the victim Luke."

"He made you the victim when he put his hands on you." He said angry again. I broke eye contact and looked at my hands hanging in front of me. Luke wrapped his arms around my waist and held me.

I was truly safe here.

"When Tyler is taken care of we should really talk about some stuff." Luke begins to say but gets cut off by a hard knock on the door. We both jumped.

Luke walked over to the door. He opened it and I stood behind him. Out of view from whoever was there. A few seconds go by and my curiosity rises.

"Is Payton here?" I recognize the voice.

"Mason?" I pop my head around forgetting about my bruise. I soon realized Mason had a worse one to match it. My jaw dropped and I noticed Luke had the same expression.

"I was getting ice for my room and I saw what.." He began to explain. "I took care of Tyler. He's not going to hurt you again."

We stood in silence a bit longer.

"Come in. Let me clean you up." I took Masons hand and lead him inside. We walked past Luke and into the bathroom. Luke made it in before I could shut the door.

"Wanna elaborate on how you "took care" of Tyler?" Luke asked with anger in his voice.

"I saw him last night trying to leave. Bags packed and everything. I followed him somewhere hidden and dark and gave him what he deserves. He's not so tough anymore." Mason explained. I began wiping dried blood off his face.

"Last night? Why are still bloody?" I asked.

"I got knocked out in the ally. Woke up and came here."

"You got knocked out?" Luke said holding back a smile.

"I was bleeding pretty bad." Mason said and lifted his shirt revealing a closed but gross cut.

"Mason! You need to go to to the hospital!" I said in surprise.

"I'm okay. I just need to walk it-" He got up but stumbled back down as I tried catching him.

"I'll call the ambulance. " Luke said and walked out.

I grabbed a towel and wrapped it around Masons stomach to cover the cut in case it opens. I put a cold rag on his eye.

"I don't know how I can thank you Mason." I said with tears building up.

"I'm not a hero Payton. Any of your friend would have done the same thing. The look on Luke's face when I said Tylers name showed how much he wanted to."

"I know but you didn't have to do that for me. I feel like I need to repay you."

"We'll talk about that when I get back." He smirked.

~~

I followed the ambulance with Luke in the passenger seat. I wanted to make sure Mason got there in good shape. The cut looked pretty bad.

"Payton you know I would have-" Luke began to say.

"I know." I cut him off.

"The doctors can take care of him." He said.

"I know. I just want to make sure he's okay." I said and turned on the radio before Luke could anger me and we fight.

~~

Luke's POV

What the fuck was he thinking!?

He could have died! I was going to take care of it! I wanted to protect Payton!

Who am I kidding.. I wanted to be her knight and shining armor. How pathetic right..

I want her back. No. I need her back. Finally I had a chance. Yes I wish it was under different circumstances but it wasn't. I wanted to bash Tylers teeth in.

Mason.. you idiot.

"How about another drink?" Alex asked with a look of concern. I just nod with a clenched jaw. "I know you wanted to be the one to kick his ass but you would've been the one with a huge cut on your side. You should be thankful."

"Whatever." I take the beer and walk over to the other side of the room. Everyone thought it would be smart idea to get trashed to try and "get our minds off things".

Payton played FIFA with Ashton. She looked happy. Why wasn't I?

"Dude you wanna go for a walk?" Calum asked which made me realize he was sitting next to me.

"Yea sure." I needed some air anyways. Calum announced our plans and we left the building.

"What's on your mind?" He asked. I knew there would be no use lying.

"I don't understand why it had to be Mason." I admitted. "Out of everyone. It was him."

"Would you rather it be you in the emergency room?"

"Yes. Yes I do." I said. "Then I'd have the satisfaction of knowing Tyler got what he deserved."

"I trust Mason. He's a solid dude and what he did for Payton was huge. You wanted to be the hero. You wanted to be her hero." Calum was always good at reading people.

"Does that make me a bad guy?"

"It makes you a guy who's in love." He smiled and I playfully shoved him.

"Things are getting really soap opera out here. We should go back." I chuckled.

"Yea I need another drink anyways."

~AlexisHemwin♡