X

AS SOON AS THE TWO ADULTS LEFT THE ROOM, KENMA REACHED OVER AND GRABBED THE PHONE

AS SOON AS THE TWO ADULTS LEFT THE ROOM, KENMA REACHED OVER AND GRABBED THE PHONE. he pulled a slip of paper out from the bible, where he hid it, and punched in the number.

he twirled the cord around his finger as it rang, waiting for her to pick up. only a few seconds later the ringing stopped and he heard her voice.

"hey kenma." y/n said into the phone as she sat up in her bed.

"hey...i'm sorry about my mom. i think she's a psychopath." kenma said making y/n laugh lightly.

"yeah, it's whatever i guess..." she sighed into the phone making kenma's expression soften into a small frown.

he hated himself for dragging her into his familial issues. he hated that his mom had to act so irrationally. he hated that y/n had been sad for most of the morning and part of the afternoon. and most of all, he hated that he couldn't do anything due to him being locked in the hotel room.

"i'm really sorry," kenma sighed, "i wish i could do something-wait hold on can i call you right back?" he asked as an idea popped into his head.

"uh-we just started talking but okay-"

"good don't go anywhere i'll call as soon as i'm done. bye." kenma hung up the phone then dialed another number quickly.

"hello this is the front desk. what can i do for you today?" a feminine voice greeted from the other line.

"i wanna order room service." the boy said as he sat on his bed and bounced his knee.

"okay, what would you like to order. we have our lunch specials menu on the back of the main menu for you in your room." the lady said as kenma scrabbled and grabbed the paper.

"uh okay, can i get six grapefruits? with lots of sugar packets?"

"...okay...anything else?"

"yeah, uh pancakes and...hot chocolate with extra whipped cream?" kenma said cautiously into the phone.

"okay, what's your room number sir?"

"can i send it to..." he paused for a moment as he tried to remember her room number, "555?"

"sure, and would you like to pay at arrival or charge this to the room?-"

"uh charge it to my room, 303, i ordered for someone else."

"alright it will be up shortly, have a nice rest of your stay-"

before the woman could finish her goodbye, kenma hung up the phone and called y/n again. "hello?"

"hi kenma, what the hell were you up to?" she asked in a teasing manner as she messed around with her walkman.

"i just had to do something really quick. it wasn't anything big." kenma lied as he laid down on his bed.

"mm kay," y/n said suspiciously, "do you wanna hear this tape my dad brought me this morning? it's joy division, unknown pleasures, AND i know its old but i couldn't find it anywhere so-"

"sure, i'll listen." kenma said with a small smile. if he could see how her face lit up a bit after being so dull all day his cheeks would totally be flushed.

y/n happily put her headphones on the phone and popped the tape into her walkman. even though she couldn't hear anything she was just excited to share her music with her new friend.

at the album's halfway point a knock was heard at
y/n's door. the h/c haired girl pulled the headphones off and paused the music. "there's someone at the door i'll be right back." she said earning a hum from kenma who was barely awake.

"who is it?" y/n asked as she looked through the peep hole.

"room service." a man called out, making y/n unlock the door and take the tray into her room after thanking him.

"kenma you dork." y/n smiled into the phone. "why the hell did you send six grapefruits with like one hundred sugar packets, pancakes, and...hot chocolate to my room?" she asked with a small laugh.

"it's an apology for my mom's shitty behavior. curtsey of my dad's credit card." kenma said with an evil smirk on his face.

"your dad is gonna shove a foot up your ass once he finds out."

"that's a risk i'm willing to take." he shrugged.

"hey, when are you leaving?" y/n asked as she poured a sugar packet onto half of a grapefruit.

"uh well today's the 30th, so the 1st, january first? yeah the new year."

"...oh...you only have one more day here huh?" y/n asked as her tone got a little sadder.

"yeah..." kenma said as he noticed the shift in her attitude.

"so that means we gotta make new year fun huh? gotta sneak you out of your room again..."

"you never learn do you?" kenma asked with a sigh and a small smile as he shook his head.

"nope."