Moving Forward

The school bell rang, signaling the end of the day, and students lined up with their teachers to wait to be picked up, and Nakano was no different; she waited with nervousness resting deep in her core for what awaited her. The family car rolled up, and she struggled to stay still, wanting to run over, and greet her parent. There was chatter among the students, surprise, and wonder evident on their faces, and when the passenger door opened, along with a back passenger door, Kaida stepped out, followed by Doflamingo, and Nakano looked up at her teacher, questioning if she could greet her family. "Where's your family, sweetie?" Nakano pointed at the Donquixote family members, to which Raina sighed. "We've gone over this, you don't live with them-" "Nakano! Come here!" She heard her big brother call for her, and began to walk over, only to be grabbed, and stilled. "Big brother!" "Stop it, he is not your brother. His parents are employers-" "Come here." Suddenly, Doffy's voice was right next to them, and Nakano reached for him; He shocked everyone around by squatting down, and scooping his little sister into a hug. "Hi big brother, how was your day?"

"It was boring, little sis. Come on, mom's waiting." Nakano's classmates were stunned, watching the Donquixote firstborn carry the girl, and referring to her as his sister; Machi paled at the realization of who she'd hit, and began to shake with fear. Kaida talked with the teacher, and principal of the school in regards to her daughter being assaulted, and Doflamingo sat away from them, his sister sitting on his lap, and playing with the feathers in his coat. "Be careful, they come off really easy." "Big brother, why do you wear so much pink?" "I was named after an animal called a Flamingo, and they're pink." Nakano nuzzled at her brother's chest, not taking for granted the rare moment of affection being shown, and made a happy, contented little noise; Doflamingo rubbed his sister's back, but otherwise didn't acknowledge her unless she asked the occasional question. She learned early on that Doffy wasn't a conversational guy, and was content to just bask in the attention people gave him, Rosinante was always the social one, and Nakano ran her mouth when she was around the younger brother. Machi, and Nakano were told to talk about the incident, and the Donquixote was honest about it, while Machi cried through her telling.

"Machi, that's not a good reason to hit someone, you can't just say stuff like that, either. I'm going to have miss Raina separate you two for now, and Machi will have detention today until school is over." Machi's father objected, saying that Nakano was overreacting, and not to take her seriously; to that, Kaida had her daughter hold up her arm where the bruise was still healing, and visible. "Your daughter caused physical harm to another child, this cannot go unpunished. I'm truly sorry this happened to you, Nakano, this is my final word on the matter." Machi's father began to raise his voise in retaliation, causing the Donquixote daughter to hide her tears in her brother's shirt out of fear. The principal argued with the man as Doflamingo carried his sister out of the room, quickly followed by their mother, who ushered them into the hall; Doffy worked to calm his sister, not wanting her to panic from auditory sensory overload, and he got her in the car before he buckled them both up. "Nakano, it's quiet in here, it's safe in the car. Take a breath, you're ok."

He kept rubbing her back, in slow cirlcles, letting her hold onto his arm where the coat rested. Her grip was soft, but firm, desperate for reassurance, and comfort; the long time servant, Haku, kept the volume low on the radio, and drove carefully when Kaida was safely buckled in. Nakano cried softly until Doffy moved his hand up to gently massage at her temple, nearly instantly stilling her tears, and she slowly leaned into his touch until she fell asleep against him. "How is she doing?" Kaida asked after a short time of hearing nothing. "She's asleep now." "Thank you, Doffy." With his sister curled into his side, Doffy couldn't help but relax, and he continued to pet her head, and rub her back to keep her calm, and asleep, wondering why he hated her so much when they found her. Their mother instructed him to wake the girl, and they found Rosi waiting in the doorway of the house, with a look of worry on his face; Nakano sleepily stumbled to the house, falling against her nervous older brother, who caught her, and steadied her. "Naka, are you ok?" The girl looked up at the smaller brother, reaching up for him so he'd pick her up.