Unwavering Smiles

"Darling, it's time to stop crying. Instead of being sad about this, let's do what we can to make your mother's last moments happy ones, ok?" Nakano nodded, wiping at her eyes once more, moving her arm around her dad to hug him as best she could. "Let's get dinner started." They went downstairs, finding Doflamingo on the phone in the kitchen, and Rosi went up to them, explaining he was ordering food. "I know we've all got busy lives, but let's visit Kaida when we've got the time." Dinner was quiet, but not grim, the heavy atmosphere had lifted enough that the family could converse, and keep the future comfortably in the backs of their minds.  "It's unfortunate we met your girlfriend under such dark circumstances, Naka. She seems like a nice young girl." "Yeah, she's pretty." Naka blushed at what her family was saying, ignoring them by taking another bite of pizza. "She's a noble, too." "Oh? Which family?" "Nefertari." Rosi's jaw dropped so quickly his food fell out of his mouth. "Seriously? Wow that's so cool." "They're very powerful as well, how did their family handle you two being together?" "I...I don't know anything about her mom, but her dad is really supportive.

Oh! I'll be right back, he got me something." With permission to get it, Nakano raced up the stairs, leaving her family to smile, and chuckle at the eagerness to show off something she got; they were glad to see her making friends, and getting along with people. When she came back downstairs, she was holding something in her hands that she had closed to keep it a secret. "What is it? What is ittt? The wait is killing me!" Rosi's dramatic acting encouraged his sister to reveal the object; it was a lesbian pride bracelet, sitting in the palm of her hand. "Neat, do you wanna put it on?" Homing helped her put the jewlery on her wrist, they all discovered that the ends were magnetic, and it closed easily; he cupped his daughter's cheek, eyes gleaming with happiness that was almost lost. "My daughter, I'm so proud of you. You don't know how happy it makes us to see you smile like this again." Naka gently hugged him, happiness flooding her system, and taking over her senses; she had missed the feeling, and was grateful her family was there to help her through her dark times.

After dinner, they moved to the living room to watch a movie before bed, and Naka texted Vivi to let her know she was ok; they made plans to hang out after they visited Kaida, and she turned the phone off to focus on her family. She moved herself onto Rosi's lap, wrapping his arms around her as she settled back against his chest. "Comfy?" "Mhm." She looked up, Rosinante looked down, and the younger brother kissed his sister's nose. Naka was the first to fall asleep, and Rosi tried not to let his breath of relief startle her, feeling more relaxed now that she wasn't stressed out. "You ok?" Doffy asked, concern showing in his voice. "Yeah, just don't know how we'll get through this." "Now boys, listen to me. We have each other, and as long as you have faith in each other, you can overcome anything. You three are some of the strongest people I know, and together you're invincible. Whatever happens, please promise me you'll take care of each other." "Of course." "As if you have to ask." Homing offered a smile to his sons, and made his way to his bedroom.

He truly believed that his family would overcome this sudden, soon-to-be tragedy, he felt a sense of security in their future, the way they leaned on, and protected everyone in their family; Kaida would be able to pass on without worrying about her family. Doflamingo's place of buisness was closed on Sundays, so he had the free time to visit his mom whenever he wanted, and Rosinante was staying at his house until Sunday evening when he'd have to leave to go back to his college campus, they were able to visit as a family. Not wanting to crowd her, or remain in a hospital room for several hours of the day, they made plans to go, and busied themselves with things around the home until that time. Kaida had been awake for roughly ten minutes when her family ducked in to greet her. "Hi, darling." Homing was the first to greet her, getting on his knees to better bend, and hug his wife, pecking her on the lips. "Hi. I missed you. Oh, my beautiful children, how are you?" Doffy nudged his sister forward, giving her a chance to speak first. "We're fine, mama, how are you?"