Chapter 17

Hunter and I were walking back from Walmart when it all changed.

For one moment, I was in utter bliss. Everything was going great. My parents were doing great, I was doing great. Hunter and I were getting along. I was back at the studio even if I only had one arm.

Things were great for once.

But of course it can't be great forever.

A car pulled up to us. Now when a mysterious car pulls up beside you, you're supposed to walk quickly to a more public place, right?

Well according to Hunter, that was the worst idea ever. He told me calmly 'They're just lost. We're fine.'

If only I would of went with my instincts. The car pulled away and sped off down the road.

"That was weird. Are you sure we're okay?"

He rolled his eyes. "We're fine. Quit worrying."

The car pulled up to us again and that's when it began.

A gun shot went off in the air.

"Shit! Shelby, run!"

I took off, not looking back to see if Hunter was following me.

I booked it across the coner and slipped a little on the slate under my feet. I turned around for a split second to see Hunter was hot on my trail. I picked up my pace and pushed my feet even faster. I saw a local diner and ran into the entrance, just realizing my grave mistake.

I had put all these innocent people at risk. Hunter seemed to realize the same thing.

"Everyone, get down!" The people in the diner screamed at Hunter and I's commands. We ducked down too just as our pursuers busted in through the glass door. They shot the lights above out so it was pitch black in the diner thanks to the rain outside and time of the day.

I pulled out my gun that I've kept firmly attatched to my back. Thanks to my first kidnapping, I was extra careful.

I pointed the pistol at the one with the gun pointed at the cashier.

I aimed right for his hand, my cover still kept a secret.

I shot and you could hear screaming from every angle.

Mainly from the one who's hand was just blown to bits.

I then aimed my pistol at another one, who had no weapons, slowly rising. Hunter did the same, his pistol firmly in his hand.

"Leave the innocent people here, alone. We can discuss this else where."

They all scoffed and I raised my eyebrow at them.

"Excuse me, but, correct me if I'm wrong, I do believe I've just shot your friend over there's hand. I've been shot in the arm, had it cut off and escaped from you and Alex once. Believe me when I tell you I will do it again if needed."

I smiled a big one and raised my gun up again.

"Now, let's go talk outside. I think we've scared these poor people here."

Even Hunter was shocked by how demanding I was. The message got through though, for as they started to back out.

I followed them out with Hunter on my flank.

"Hello, boys. I do believe we've met previously. I'm assuming you work for Alex and Taylor."

The leader scoffed again. "Boys, get Kellin. Take him to the hospital to get that hand fixed up. Gerard, Lucas, stay behind. We have some short matters to discuss."

It all happened so fast.

He quickly pulled out a gun and shot one of his men in the back.

"He was my friend. Now's the time to start imagining what I'm going to do to you. Here's the deal," He started as he pointed at Hunter. "I'm taking your friend here. There's a new game. A new way in fighting, if you will."

"The game is simple. You have 72 hours to find your friend, here. Every 6 hours, you will recieve a message of some sort. It could be a previous location, address, contact from someone, anything. It could be helpful, it could be useless.

"Everywhere you're led, could be a new opportunity for fighting. It could be a simple one, it could be a deadly one. Doesn't matter to me, I don't make up the rules.

"Anywho, let's just say when-I mean if you don't find your friend in time, he will be shot immediatly on the very second after your 72 hours is up. If said person is shot, we will come after the next close person to you.

"You see, this whole game is bent around control. Alex is controlling you. He craves power. He has more power when he has you under his every wish. Like right now, you're playing his game. He's contolling you and that is all he wants. You've beaten him in his own game. Fighting. And for that, you must pay the consequences. He's going to run you so far into the ground, you'l be begging for mercy."

He held the gun against Hunter's head.

We looked at each other for a second when I realized what he was going to do. He elbowed Mr. Intimidating in the face and he stumbled back. Gerard and Lucas quickly grabbed him and slammed him to the ground.

"Shelby don't come after me. They'll just kill you on your way to me. You wont make it. I've seen what he's done to others before. Please, don't come after me."

They were dragging him away and I had tears down my face.

"I can't leave you to die. You're going to make it!"

I ran after them but was pulled back by the guy Hunter had previously elbowed. He had me in a death grip as they dragged us toward their van.

Hunter looked at me, sternly.

"Shells," His voice cracked. "I'm begging you. You'll be killed. I know you're strong but you're not strong enough for this one."

My heart broke when I saw him get thrown into the van. The men started piling in again.

I just silently shook my head.

"Shelby, don' do it. I can't stand you being hurt even by a scratch! Don't come for me, please."

The men were laughing.

"Hunter's going soft!"

Just as they shut the doors, I heard Hunter's faint shout.

"Shelby, I love you!"

And before I knew it, the van was off and I was alone in the rain.

My favorite Chapter I've ever written I think. This Chapter didn't go anywhere where I expected it to, but I love it just as much. Not sure how many Chapters are left but thank you for those who have read this so far. My writing skills have changed a lot and the first few Chapters are just terrible. I am going back and am probably going rewrite/ edit the first part because, my lord it sure needs it!

Have a great day, guys and galls!

~xxJenBarakatxxATL

Edited 6/10/15