Chapter 6

He never listens yet responds so well.

--

After I change into a black skirt, a white dress shirt, and throw on my tie and rob, I walk into class right on time. Unfortunately, everyone is already quiet. When the door loudly closes behind me the eyes of all the Slytherins and Hufflepuffs turn to me. I spot Harvey, who warmly smiles and motions to the empty seat next to him. I grin back at him and lower my head as I walk towards him. I notice  Ember, who gives me a small wave which I return. Tom sits next to her but, other than a quick eye dart, doesn't acknowledge me. It doesn't really bother me, I know the basics of what he's like. Harvey pulls my chair out, his grey eyes glowing.

"Hey," he whispers.

"Hi, how was your night?" I respond, keeping my eyes on Professor Slughorn the entire time.

"Good, you?" His voice seem slightly irritated but I chalk it up to my imagination.

"Great, I slept well," I lie with ease.

The conversation ends there as Slughorn starts to talk about some truth serum that starts with a "V" but the name is so complicated and new to me it slips through my mind. 

***

I manage to get through the next few classes without totally loosing my focus. I have to remind myself what I did to get this opportunity and that it can come to an end any second. I sit on the common room couch flipping through a newspaper. It's still strange to see the moving photographs and the talking portraits don't exactly put me at ease either. The common room door swings open as Tom and Ember enter. He whispers something in Ember's ear and she heads off with a nod. I don't question it, it's better to just leave Tom's motives be or else I'll end up with more questions.

"Vince, we can head to an empty classroom I've found," he says, not giving me enough time to answer. 

I stand up, throwing the newspaper on the couch, and follow him through the halls, slightly struggling to remain right behind him. We stop at a door and he finally turns, pleased I'm behind him.

We sit down next to each other at a wooden desk on the edge of the room and he lays the books in front of us. A book with a black, leather cover lays in the mix but he quickly snatches it and puts it in his pocket before I could examine it any longer. I fight my urge to bring it up, knowing fully well it's not going to end up how it did in Diagon Alley.

"Let's start with potions, did you pay attention to what Professor Slughorn was saying?"

I bite the inside of my cheek in thought, "something about a truth serum? Verti-something, right?"

He glares at me and with a sigh flips to a page in his book, "Veritaserum. You really need to focus more, you're already so far behind and you're going to have to learn the current curriculum on top of this-"

"I know, Riddle. I'm trying," I mutter, pulling my eyes from his face to the textbook.

"Try harder." 

I grit my teeth, closing my eyes and trying to focus on a happier memory than the one that popped into my head. 

(TW:  @buse and SH(sort of??? idk thought i'd put it in there just in case) 

I'm not going to think about you, you selfish bastard of a father.  Yet my mind still wanders there.

The vase in the middle of the table is destroyed. Blue pieces of glass cover the counter top and the floor and the 5 white roses lay in the center, thorns nowhere close to invisible.

"Florence what have you done? Mrs. Whistron got these for us 2 days ago and you're already going around with you curse and destroying them and my lovely vase." My mother presses a hand to her forehead in destress. "what am I going to do with you? You're a disaster. Clean it up and then go to your room, I can't deal with you right now."

I robotically walk towards the sink to get some paper towels but the firm grip of my father's hand on my shirt collar stops me.

"Florence. What have I told you about using your curse in the house?" He scolds.

"I'm sorry father, I really can't control it anymore. If you sent me to that school-"

He cuts me off with a slap. My eyes widen eyes as the stinging finally sets in. I blink the tears out of my eyes and he releases me from his grasp.

"You've never going to that freak show of a school. Clean this up, you remember the protocol," he says, then turns and moves his way back to the couch to continue reading the paper.

I head to the table without my towel and first, pick the roses from the table. The thorns slightly prick my fingers but It's nothing compared to the burning on my cheek. As I begin to pick the tiny glass shards up a few of the cut into my hand. I whimper in pain for the the first few minutes but after about the 20th time, I couldn't take it anymore.

"Father, please let me at least put gloves. I'm trying so hard not to but I'm bleeding," I cry.

"try harder."

(end here)

I steady my breath after a few seconds but when I turn back to Riddle he's noticed my behavior. He looks at me, almost like he's making sure I'm okay, before continuing on about veritaserum.

***

"Lesson's over," he deadpans.

It's been a long dreadful hour of going over the basics and the homework, all the while Tom criticizes me every time I mess up. I can't be doing this everyday; I'm going to die of boredom. I stand up and he packs his books into a pile. 

I turn to leave but he calls my name, "Florence?"

I turn, surprised by the use of my first name.

"Vince, I mean," he corrects himself.

"Yes?" I reply.

He opens his mouth, the words struggle to form though, "I, erm, I-"

I hide my grin at his efforts, "You don't have to say whatever you're trying to say. It's clearly not meant to be coming out of your mouth right now."

He purses his lips, oddly enough no embarrassment on his face, "alright then."

He stands there, looking at me for a few more seconds, before grabbing the books and heading out of the room per usual.

--

I hope this is moving at a relatively decent pace for ya'll and if not, let me know whether to hurry up or slow down:)