Chapter 21

Fear is all too familiar, and it feels like love.

--

I don't need to open my eyes to know it's half-way through the afternoon. Sunlight pours the the window, illuminating my small dorm room. I drape an arm over my face trying to bring myself back into my peaceful slumber, but I'm unsuccessful. Defeated, I sigh and rub my eyes awake. The blankets are bunched up near my feet, leaving the rest of me shivering. As I stand up, the memory of Tom's strange request comes to mind. Who does he think he is? Does he think I'm dumb enough to believe it's for my own well-being? Clearly he does. 

I rub my temple and head to my closet, already thinking of different clothing combinations to match with my mood. I decide on a black long sleeved shirt and black ripped jeans. As I look in the mirror I put a light grey, oversized t-shirt over the black one to lessen the darkness. I put on a pair of red converse sneakers, to add a hint of color to my bleak outfit.

I trudge out of my dorm, and to my luck, bump right into Tom. He eyes me up and down for a second, though I'm not sure what he's looking for. I ignore his wandering eyes, pushing past him and practically running out of the common room. I don't hear his footsteps, so I assume he didn't try chasing after me. I slow my pace and let my mind wander to the upcoming events. 

The ball is is 3 days and I still don't have a date. Not that I'm looking for someone to crush over me but all my friends have dates. Ember is going with Lorraine, though that's expected, Harvey found some girl named Miranda in his house that looks almost exactly like him, and Averi's going with some girl who asked him. Harvey said I could go with him and Miranda, as they are going as friends, but from the snarky look Miranda gave me she had no intention of letting me third-wheel.

I go around a corner spot Tom sitting on a window ledge, staring directly at me. I purse my lips but say nothing as I attempt to walk past him. He senses this, leaping up from his seat and grabbing my arm. I swivel my head in the opposite direction, avoiding his gaze. 

"Avoiding me, princess?" His voice drips with bitterness. I don't respond, only try to pull my arm out of his strong grasp. He doesn't budge.

I scoff, "does this 24 hour watch start now or do I at least have until after the ball?"

He raises his eyebrows, a flash of surprise and intrigue intruding his neutral face, "do you have a date or something?" 

I roll my eyes as warmth fills my cheeks. I shouldn't have brought this up. While I have no clue what he's going to use this information for, it's not going to spare me my pride. He doesn't repeat the question, as he can probably tell what my answer is based on my reaction.

He grins, "perfect, we will go together then."

I shoot my eyes back to him, a horror stricken look across my face. "What the fuck are you saying?"

[A lil extra spice(choking rly) so continue at your own risk.]

He takes his hand and pushes a strand of hair out of my face. His fingers gently graze the side of my neck and his gaze remains locked on mine. My heart leaps into my throat and my breathing quickens. He smirks, licking his lips. 

He quickly spins me around, pushing me up against the wall with one hand wrapped around my neck and the other holding my hands above my head. I clench my legs together, ignoring the throbbing sensation between the two. He pries the two apart with his knee, sending my thoughts into a flurried mess. He leans down, barely an inch from my lips. 

"I mean we're going to the ball together. Now you can object, but that won't stop me from protecting you," he murmurs.

I grit my teeth, "protecting me? Stop with the bullshit you don't want me anywhere near safe. If you really wanted that you would keep me on the other side of the damn world from you."

His grip on my neck tightens, "I'm doing the best I can."

"for a narcissist, sure. But you, Tom Riddle, can do so much better," I whisper.

I feel his nails dig into my neck and smile. His eyes continue to darken as he stares at my expression. In a momentary weakness, I break my hand from his wicked grip, moving them to his tie. He pays attention to my obvious need, leaning down and connecting our lips. I can barely breath as he hungrily devours my mouth. I drag a hand up his torso as he pulls me closer. 

My hand reaches his hair and I tug and, to both of our dismays, he lets go. I take the opportunity and kiss my way down to his adam's apple, drawing a moan from him. I smile against his neck. I spin us around, to where he's leaning up against the wall. He groans in protest but I quickly shut him up when I start to palm him through his pants with my other hand.  I attempt to find the zipper but he yanks my hand away. I tilt my head at the sudden objection.

"Not here." 

With that he pulls me back towards the direction of the dungeons.

--

shorter chapter but next one is smut.

-gray:)