Chapter 12

His grasp makes me fall apart but his voice breaks me.

--

I stand in front of the door to our usual meeting spot. I slowly exhale, trying my best to figure out an excuse to not go to this session. Unfortunately for me, the door swings open before I even get a chance to touch it. Tom's sitting in his seat, pretending to not know he opened the door for me. 

Of course he's already on my nerves, he's fantastic at that. I slither into the seat next to him, trying my best to seem natural and uninterested at the same time. He doesn't acknowledge my arrival, just continues to play with his wand. I feel a twinge of disappointment in my stomach but vow not to start any conversation.

Luckily, after a few long seconds he slides me a book. I ignore him, gaining leverage on the situation. He played right into my hands.

"Read chapter 5," he whispers, the familiar, demanding sound twists my stomach into a knot.

A sly grin creeps up onto my face and I push the book back, "not in the mood."

"Just read it, Vince," he responds, "I want to get this over with just as much as you."

I purse my lips, "I don't want to work today. Can we just pretend I did something?"

He sighs, meeting my eyes, "What would you like to do instead?"

"Not this. Maybe... talk?" It sounded awful coming out of my mouth. My voice wasn't near as soft as I intended and I didn't clarify what about. But, judging by the unamused look on his face, he understands.

"That's not something I do sober, you should know that," he responds. I tap my fingers on the wooden desk, trying to play the situation so we finish without another fight. I stop and look at him, his eyebrows arched in amusement at how focused I am on getting this to end my way.

"Then let's get drunk," I suggest, watching his breath halt in his throat.

He chokes on a fake laugh, "I don't know if you realized, but I do that alone."

"Last time you didn't," I mutter quietly.

"Last time was an unexpected, unfortunate accident. It's not happening again." His teeth are gritted and I see his knuckles clench as they rest on the table.

I soften my voice, "I want to help you, Riddle. I want to try and be... a friend, if that's possible. I'm scared, but I care." 

Shit. That is was too sappy and he's going to try to kill me again. I automatically flinch and close my eyes, waiting for his hand to grab my neck. A few seconds pass and my eyes open, meeting his. He looks slightly more relaxed. His hand lie on the table, no longer clenched. His eyes are more curious than anything.

"You said you're scared. Of what exactly?" I lower my eyes to my entwined hands at his question. I can feel my blush. 

His hand gently reaches to my chin and he tilts my head up. I meet his eyes again and I feel a burst of some unfamiliar emotion in my chest. 

It feels like I'm drowning...

"Florence?" My name echos in my mind and it takes me a few breaths to remember he's talking to me.

"I can't say it in front of you," I whisper, praying he'd let go of my chin.

"You can't hurt me. Say it, please." His voice is breathy and unlike him. I bottle the feeling inside me into a tiny jar and shove it out of sight.